• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Bunjagraham

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have spent way too much time obsessing over this question, and don't want to send the professor who wrote it any more than the two emails I have already sent him trying to understand the answer. Anyone interested in taking a stab at it?

Following a crush injury in an auto accident a 20-year-old male is forced to undergo a leg amputation. Owing to use of an antibiotic with significant renal toxicity to combat a post-surgical infection, he loses half his original number of functional nephrons. Six months later (all renal parameters are in steady state) which of the measurements of renal function would be least changed compared to before the accident?

A. creatinine excretion
B. creatinine clearance
C. Na+ excretion
D. plasma concentration of urea
E. glucose reabsorption

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would GUESS D.

This based on the fact that I've always been told that you have to lose 70-80% of your kidney function before you see a chance in plasma Cr or BUN

thechad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Status (Visible)
Probably C because the other kidney can increase its urine output to maintain electrolyte balance.

About the Ads

Bunjagraham

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
C is the correct answer. Good job, thechad! I'm impressed. (I had thought the correct answer was E.)

coolioyo

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
GFR will change because there are less glomeruli, plasma concentration of urea will increase because there is less urea being filtered (GFR*plasma concentration= excretion). Because creatinine clearance is GFR, it will also change. Glucose reabsorption is decreased due to the same logic, less GFR less excretion and thus less reabsorption. Sodium excretion is dependent on blood pressure, initially sodium excretion will be decreased but there will be compensation by the remaining tubules to maintain sodium excretion, so it would not change. However, I think A could also be right because creatinine excretion is dependent on creatinine creation which is constant, but it might have changed because of the auto accident. Yes, it did change because of the loss of the leg. Thanks for the question.

IHeartNerds

10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Remember that the kidney can vary its Na excretion over an extraordinary wide range depending on dietary intake. This is why C is correct -- hell, you could have 25% of kidney function and maintain normal Na excretion.

All the other may or may not change, but C is the least likely to.

Questions like this are why we are moving away from "all BUT" and "everything true EXCEPT" formatting...

MattD

Curmudgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2003
www.yellow5.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Right, the real reason for answer c is that Na transporters are typically nowhere NEAR saturation, so they have the greatest ability to compensate.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.