renewal fafsa and gettin married

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, just a quick question....

im planning get married in may and im filling out my renewal fafsa for med school right now.... there's a section that asks about my current marital status....

now i wanna put down married cuz thats what im going to be for the 2003 2004 school year...but i called and the lady said marital status doesnt make a difference in the amount of aid u get...it all depends on need.... and actually that doesnt make sense to me cuz why would someone who's married and has to support his wife get the same amount of aid as someone single? (btw my fiance is also a student)

last year, my friend put down he was single before he submitted his fafsa, and then got married in march. .. the lady told him that he would be able to change his status and be eliglible for more aid but he couldnt.... and eventually got screwed.... he barely had enough money left at the end of the semester to pay for expenses....

anyone of you guys been in a situation like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Being married doesn't help unfortunately.

Hubby and I are married (duh!) and when he got his financial aid package for this year (hes a MS1), they budget him like a single student.
I am not considered a dependant even though I don't work and am also a full time student. I get financial aid for myself though....and your wife to be should fill out the FAFSA for her schooling.

Part of the reason we choose this school was because we actually are able to live on what hubby gets as a single student. Plus, if we really needed money, there are other loans out there.....we just don't want to tap into anything non-stafford unless its an emergency.

Only having a child will up your amount.....but not by alot from what I hear.

Good luck!

Wifty....getting ready to do renewal FAFSAs. Ugh.

Originally posted by realruby2000
and actually that doesnt make sense to me cuz why would someone who's married and has to support his wife get the same amount of aid as someone single? (btw my fiance is also a student)

What year are we in. . . the 1950s?

I don't understand why someone who is married should get less than someone single. If anything, the single person should get more, since it is more expensive to live by yourself that it is to live with a spouse, since you only have 1 rent payment.

I personally think that martial status should not matter for financial aid. If you need more money, there are private loans.