Renin angiotensin on the Mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedirection

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the whole renin angiotensin thing on the Mcat? I don't think it was covered in tbr or Lapland books outside of passages but it was included as a discrete in tpr's diagnostic

Should we know it?

Members don't see this ad.

Just know renin from the kidney stimulates angiotensin (which has a few different forms that each stimulate each other) and know that ultimately, it increases blood pressure and volume by triggering ADH and aldosterone (which both act on the kidney - aldosterone on the distal tubule, ADH on collecting duct). I do think this much is expected.

Last edited:
I would also know that angiotensin causes systemic constriction in the blood vessels which also leads to increased blood pressure in the body.

Yes, this is what I said :)

Constriction always results in increased blood pressure due to decreased surface area (P = F/A)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the whole renin angiotensin thing on the Mcat? I don't think it was covered in tbr or Lapland books outside of passages but it was included as a discrete in tpr's diagnostic

Should we know it?

I don't think it you need to know about renin. If its showes up on the MCAT it will be explained in a passage.

Just know renin from the kidney stimulates angiotensin (which has a few different forms that each stimulate each other) and know that ultimately, it increases blood pressure and volume by triggering ADH and aldosterone (which both act on the kidney - aldosterone on the distal tubule, ADH on collecting duct). I do think this much is expected.

ADH acts both on the collecting duct and the distal tubule.

ADH acts both on the collecting duct and the distal tubule.

Oh, really? I didn't know that. How does it do that? By increasing Na reabsorption in the tubule? Because in the collecting duct it works via aquaporin channels.

Oh, really? I didn't know that. How does it do that? By increasing Na reabsorption in the tubule? Because in the collecting duct it works via aquaporin channels.

It's the same mechanism, it upregulates transmembrane insertion of aquaporin channels. It doesn't increase Na reabsorption, only aldosterone does that.