Rent/housing during medical school... advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't make up my mind. I need to decide on a place to live ASAP. I have been searching for a place since June and orientation starts mid-August. I wanted to share a place with roomies to save on rent and also live as close to the school as possible. I wanted to spend below $500-$600 including utilities a month.

Right now I have two options (neither of them ideal as I am FEMALE, etc.):

1. A big unfurnished bedroom sharing with two males (not medical students but closely associated health students) with cats (I am not a big fan but I can deal). The rent and utilities would be $700 (or a little more). The neighborhood is close to the school and a lot of medical students live there too. I think the place is nice but a little messy but it is in a condo complex with other medical students which I like.

2. Also close to the school but in a complex that might not have a lot of medical students (might not be the easiest to walk to campus, but I didn't check it out that thoroughly). I would be living with 2 males again one of them is the owner and the other would be an incoming first year medical student like me (I have not met him yet). The rent and utilities would be $550 a month and the room is small but furnished. The only issue is my mom hated it. She thought the furniture was gross for some reason and she didn't like that I would be living with the owner (who is an older engineer).

I am about to apply and sign the lease for the $700 room but I just think it is silly to be spending money that I don't even have. It is like $150 extra per month which will add up fast.

I really need to move in somewhere ASAP and I am struggling to find anything else close to school that is even close to my budget of $400-$600 per month.

What would you do? I can't not have a place to live and/or continue to search for housing during the school year. I feel like that would be a major distraction and would put me behind in my studies.

I think I could be okay living in either and I think both are equidistant from the school, just in opposite directions (one is on one side and the other is on another). My mom's opinion unfortunately matters and because she said something I am second guessing the $550 place even though it would save me a lot of money. I just really don't want to be in a rediculous amount of debt when I graduate. It freaks me out and I want to have money to travel and see friends during my breaks from medical school.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IMHO I'd go with the bigger bedroom with other professional/health students in a complex with a lot of other med students.

You mention they are kind of messy and have cats which would be my major concern...but if your mom thinks the furniture in the other place is "gross" I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not gonna be much better on that front.

Edit: I just noticed that you're female.

Honestly I'd keep looking until you can find a female roommate, but that's just me. In the case that you are female I'd be uncomfortable with the older owner (as is your mom). And not as serious, but I'd be concerned the messy guys will expect you to be the one to keep the place clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you think you will be spending a lot of time at home studying or are you a library/coffee shop type of person? If you will be home a lot, I would definitely pick whichever one you are most comfortable at, regardless of the price. If it's just a place to sleep and you feel like you might be a little tight on money throughout the semester, the cheaper one might not be a bad option.

If it were me, I would probably pick number 1, but that's just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to live with other females in a clean apartment (with a clean kitchen, common area, bathroom, and no cats) but that does not appear to be an option right now (and medical school starts in a little more than one week :-/ ). :-( I am concerned about the EXTRA $150 a month= $1,800 year= $7,200 over 4 years= $9,000 5 years (which I am thinking that I want to do a dual degree). I just hate thinking about all the money that I will owe in student loans and spending unnecessary money seems frivolous. I know I could probably change residences over the course of my education but I would be signing a lease for 1 year (September '14 to September '15).

I probably would stay at the library mostly (unless I find my accommodations amazing), but I like having a comfortable/CLEAN to sleep. Also, my parents live 1 hour away (too far to commute everyday) so that is another factor that is at play in my mind.

I can see how living with the older guy (and MALE medical student that I have not met) might not be ideal although I would be living with two MALE health professional students in the other apartment. Oh well.

I appreciate your guys advice! :)

I would love to live with other females in a clean apartment (with a clean kitchen, common area, bathroom, and no cats) but that does not appear to be an option right now (and medical school starts in a little more than one week :-/ ). :-( I am concerned about the EXTRA $150 a month= $1,800 year= $7,200 over 4 years= $9,000 5 years (which I am thinking that I want to do a dual degree). I just hate thinking about all the money that I will owe in student loans and spending unnecessary money seems frivolous. I know I could probably change residences over the course of my education but I would be signing a lease for 1 year (September '14 to September '15).

I probably would stay at the library mostly (unless I find my accommodations amazing), but I like having a comfortable/CLEAN to sleep. Also, my parents live 1 hour away (too far to commute everyday) so that is another factor that is at play in my mind.

I can see how living with the older guy (and MALE medical student that I have not met) might not be ideal although I would be living with two MALE health professional students in the other apartment. Oh well.

I appreciate your guys advice! :)

Well the other thing I'd point out is that you aren't exactly signing a four year lease. If neither is ideal, there is a very good chance you could find someone in your class to live with the following year. Probably 1/4 of my class moved the summer after first year.

Reactions: 1 user