Quantcast

Rent or Buy near Detroit Mercy

DATBooster | The Ultimate DAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUVS2RUN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For students who are going to Detroit Mercy or are familiar with the Detroit area, would you recommend buying or renting? Is there an area where buying would be a smart decision (we will be staying for four years) which is located between the old location for Detroit Mercy and the new location for Detroit Mercy? Any comments or ideas for towns/villages to look at would be much appreciated.

Thanks!:luck:

sCOUT6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would go ahead and just buy the gun, renting is so expensive....j/k

dentalwife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For students who are going to Detroit Mercy or are familiar with the Detroit area, would you recommend buying or renting? Is there an area where buying would be a smart decision (we will be staying for four years) which is located between the old location for Detroit Mercy and the new location for Detroit Mercy? Any comments or ideas for towns/villages to look at would be much appreciated.

Thanks!:luck:

I was a missionary for my church in Detroit so I lived around there fot 18 months. The city is not good. It is not like SF or NY or Chicago or LA where there are nice areas...there are better areas but no nice areas. The nice places are the neighboring cities and towns. Some of them are bad too (Lincol Park, Taylor) Wait till you get there and find the nice neighborhoods. If anyone has two cents to spare they MOVE OUT of Detroit.

GreyFox2002

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a missionary for my church in Detroit so I lived around there fot 18 months. The city is not good. It is not like SF or NY or Chicago or LA where there are nice areas...there are better areas but no nice areas. The nice places are the neighboring cities and towns. Some of them are bad too (Lincol Park, Taylor) Wait till you get there and find the nice neighborhoods. If anyone has two cents to spare they MOVE OUT of Detroit.

From a metro Detroit native of 22 years (my whole life) let me inform you that we are the poster boy of urban sprawl. Detroit is, admittingly, one of the worst cities in America (albeit it IS improving). However, the surrounding suburbs are some of the wealthiest, and loveliest in the country.

For a dental student, I'd recommend looking in the following cities: Livonia, Novi, Farmington/Farmington Hills, Royal Oak, Canton, etc. You'll have about a 1/2 hour drive during traffic to school, but live in a very nice area.

I'm a pharmacy student at Wayne State btw, in Downtown Detroit. If you ever get a chance, drive down to the medical campus there, its really impressive (NIH, Karmanos Cancer institute, etc). Also, Greektown and the downtown area are very safe and lively areas.

who knows...

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also....Make sure you consider the fact that they will be moving next year :)

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also....Make sure you consider the fact that they will be moving next year :)

I dont think you necessarily have to move. When I spoke w/ someone in admissions she said the new facility is only about 10 minutes further south than where it is now. its closer to downtown detroit

oldjeeps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OP: hard question to answer since everyone is looking for a slightly different thing when they are looking for housing.
I have been living in the eastern 'burbs of Detroit for the last while and would suggest taking a look in some areas of the Grosse Pointes (lots of houses and apts for rent or sale) - because they are some of the 'burbs that are closest to WSU/DMC/downtown and are relatively safe (even if somewhat "boring").