Rent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjin06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how much does the average med student spend on housing per month?

Members don't see this ad.

Completely depends on the location. Some city housing markets will run you 1000+ month, others in more rural areas are much less.

...also depends on the roommate situation (i.e. if you have one or not).

Members don't see this ad :)
How about with a room mate in a city?

i don't know about other places, but i think in any texas city you could expect to pay ~$600 with a roommate. it obviously depends on location and quality of the complex though.

How about with a room mate in a city?

Northeastern cities and San Francisco could easily top $1000/month with a roommate (depending on where in the city). It's cheaper everywhere else, but expect the same city vs. suburb vs. rural price difference.

Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes,
five hundred, twenty-five thousand moments so dear...

oh sorry wrong rent.

[pj];6582177 said:
"City" is a very broad term.

Highly dependent on geographic location.

How about... "highly urban areas"?

EDIT: I'll be spending about $600 living in a 1050 sq. ft. apartment with a roommate in Houston.

In milwaukee you can get a studio for 400, 1 bed room for 500, 2 bedrooms around 600-700 (you split it 50:50 obviously).

I'm not sure if these include electricity, etc.

How about... "highly urban areas"?

Well, for starters, in Baltimore (or at least near UMD) rent tends to run ~$900-$1,000 per person, give or take $100. This is usually for either a studio loft type place by yourself, or for a 2-bedroom/2-person apartment.

In a place like Boston you can pay anywhere from $700 - 1,000 for your own room in a place shared with roommates. Add $200-300 for food and utilities. Especially in the winter.

You could pay more than $1000 with roommates, but students shouldn't need to live anywhere that nice.