1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Renting a car for interviews when you're 20

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Predent1391, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    Hi guys! Does anyone know which companies will allow you to rent a car if you're 20? The companies I've talked to so far have a minimum age of 21 for renting a car. :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SLOBrule

Pre-Dental
    I don't think so. I would just take a cab and try and stay within walking distance to the school. If not walking distance, at least a short cab ride away. Also be sure to wake up extra early if you take a cab since they usually take forever to come pick you up. Don't want to be late.

4. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    Thanks! That's what I might have to do. This is so depressing. I'm way too dependent on cars. Do most hotels provide shuttle services to and from the airport?

5. SLOBrule

Pre-Dental
    Yes they usually do. You won't have a problem if you plan ahead. Also congrats on the interview at the age of 20. You can't even buy a beer yet!

6. Predent1391

Pre-Dental

7. crew09

crew09 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    some do but charge more...can't remember which tho.

Def take advantage of the shuttle service it's free depending on the hotel

8. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    I called a few hotels. I'm looking for something around UCONN and I found one hotel that provides shuttle service, but charges like $30, one way, for it. I'm trying to find a hotel that provides such service and is close to the school so my taxi bill to get to/from the school isn't ridiculously huge. I wish I could just RENT A CAR! Life would be so much easier!!

9. lmaozedong1

Some will let u rent if you're under 21, but there will be an extra fee if I'm not mistaken.

10. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    Any chance you know a specific company? I've looked at so many and have gotten a no. Thanks!

11. crew09

crew09 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    weird.

Might be able to get a parent to rent and put on as a driver?

12. Predent1391

Pre-Dental

I don't know if that'll work since I'll have to pick up the car and they'll probably check my ID and see the difference.

13. lmaozedong1

Really? I rented from Budget and I was good to go. Maybe it depends on which airport, I'm not sure.

14. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    I got a no from budget. Guess I'll keep looking.

15. nlbaker7

5+ Year Member

My friend, DO NOT rent a car if you are under 25. You will get absolutely murdered on fees and mandatory insurance. I have learned this the hard way, through several companies. That entire industry is a sham for minors. Just stay close and cab

16. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    I know it's a bad idea, but I just want to be absolutely sure that I'm not late to the school. Out of curiosity what companies did you rent from? Were you under 21?

17. crew09

crew09 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I used advantage in LA and was under 25. Depends on location.

18. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    I live in Socal, so I'm good for this area :D. Were you under 21?

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked. it's 21 for Advantage -_______-

19. BoxerRumble

5+ Year Member

Maybe if someone on SDN is going to the same interview on the same day, you guys can split the cost and he can pick you up and stuff. I know if I had the same interview day as someone, and they were in your situation, I'd be happy to help. Just don't make us late :p

20. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    I would REALLY appreciate that. I'm trying to find people right now. Any chance you applied to UCONN? :D

21. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    For anyone who is also looking for some, I found one! It's called EZ Rent a Car, but it's like $150 for two days, including like $80 in fees for being under 21. It's only available in certain cities though. AND if you're visiting NY, you can rent at 18, state law :D

#20 Predent1391, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  22. sacapuntas

sacapuntas Verified Account
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I used to rent with Enterprise quite a bit when I was 23/24...never rented one until then. They charged me the same as the regular rate though I am pretty sure, about $35/day for a small car.

23. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    It is about $35/day, but they don't rent to 20 year olds. For UCONN, I've worked out a train/cab combo that seems like it'll work :D

24. peanutb123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    <25 they charge under age fee of like 25-40 bucks.
    get insurance when ever you rent a car. My rental was hit in the parking lot, and it took away their bumper. so i was covered :D

total comes up to be like 60-90 bucks if you are under 25. But if i were you when i get the interview i immediately research any hotels with in .5 miles of the school. then get their a day before and walk to the school to see where it is. This way you can make arrangements for shuttles early and save $.

25. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    But the thing is they won't even rent to someone <21. Yeah, I'm looking for hotels close to the school and to the train station in the area since I need to take a train back to the airport. Sorry this might sound really stupid, but what do you mean by shuttles? Do you mean a private shuttle service?

26. peanutb123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yeah some hotels have shuttle service to airport or/and to select destinations such as schools which are like couple miles away for free or for a very small price lower than cab.

27. FROGGBUSTER

2+ Year Member

Why not take a bus?

28. Predent1391

Pre-Dental
    I've figured out how to get to the school, hotel, and airport using trains and cabs. I don't really want to take a bus because I'm freaked out about being late. I really wanted a car so I could drive about 150 miles to see a close friend on the east coast. I live in Socal and it's not very often that I get to visit the east coast lol.