Renting a Car

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eraserhead

Hey guys I'm thinking of renting a car to get down to San Diego from San Francisco for the second look weekend. Its only about 90 dollars versus 200 for a plane (plus more for taxi, etc.).

Is this a good idea? Do I have to be 25 or have car insurance to do this (I'm 24, no insurance)?

Members don't see this ad.

have you tried calling one of these places like enterprise or something? i dont think you would be allowed to rent esp if you dont have car insurance and you are under the age of 25, but maybe you can work something about with your parents and have them rent it for you and you just drive it.

maybe they do let people under 25 rent but just at unreasonable prices.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Hey guys I'm thinking of renting a car to get down to San Diego from San Francisco for the second look weekend. Its only about 90 dollars versus 200 for a plane (plus more for taxi, etc.).

Is this a good idea? Do I have to be 25 or have car insurance to do this (I'm 24, no insurance)?

Since I rent cars so frequently, I'll reply. If you're not 25 or older, car companies will tack on around $25/day fee. Plus, if you don't have any auto insurance of your own, you should buy the rental company's insurance which could be $20-30/day. Don't forget the cost of the gas to drive those miles. The difference might be smaller than you think. It might be better to fly since you don't have to drive for hours and hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by oldtimer
Since I rent cars so frequently, I'll reply. If you're not 25 or older, car companies will tack on around $25/day fee. Plus, if you don't have any auto insurance of your own, you should buy the rental company's insurance which could be $20-30/day.

Damn, OK forget about that.

I just turned 25, thank god :) But i used to rent from Dollar or Enterprise since they are the only two I could find that rent to under-25 people. The fee was usually around $30-35 and the insurance was like $20and up to conver everything. Have you looked into Amtrak? My friend just got a good deal from Sac to Long Beach. It just takes awhile, but probably only a few more hours than driving and it's a bit cheaper when you add in all the costs.

Originally posted by LoneCoyote
I just turned 25, thank god :) But i used to rent from Dollar or Enterprise since they are the only two I could find that rent to under-25 people. The fee was usually around $30-35 and the insurance was like $20and up to conver everything. Have you looked into Amtrak? My friend just got a good deal from Sac to Long Beach. It just takes awhile, but probably only a few more hours than driving and it's a bit cheaper when you add in all the costs.

Yeesh, Amtrak is incredibly slow and painful. I also don't think there's a good route from the west bay to San Diego.

i'd actually call the rental agencies in your area (esp those not inside a city)

i've rented a bunch of times from enterprise- their "under-25" fee is $10/day, but everytime the salesperson says they'll give me a deal and not charge me the fee. i just rented last week actually- was 25.99/day (wknd special) with unlimited mileage, no extra fee.

try working it out- surprisingly, most of the locations are willing to haggle.

I've had the same experience as someguy.. I rented a car, it was $15/day (weekend special for compacts) with only $5 extra because I'm 21. It is definitely reasonable for most trips.

One problem is if you go over 450 miles, you get charged per mile, and this adds up quick. Make sure to ask about all these hidden fees.

Originally posted by someguy81
i'd actually call the rental agencies in your area (esp those not inside a city)

i've rented a bunch of times from enterprise- their "under-25" fee is $10/day, but everytime the salesperson says they'll give me a deal and not charge me the fee. i just rented last week actually- was 25.99/day (wknd special) with unlimited mileage, no extra fee.

try working it out- surprisingly, most of the locations are willing to haggle.

Originally posted by Entol
I've had the same experience as someguy.. I rented a car, it was $15/day (weekend special for compacts) with only $5 extra because I'm 21. It is definitely reasonable for most trips.

One problem is if you go over 450 miles, you get charged per mile, and this adds up quick. Make sure to ask about all these hidden fees.

interesting. yeah enterprise sounds cheaper than the dollar place. i'd be going way over 450 miles though, so that deal wouldn't work for me. yeah i'm going to call them all later.

Check out priceline too for renting cars--you can find super good deals. They'll include the under-25 fee into the price you list. And I think that they are all unlimited miles--so you don't have to worry about the whole over-450-thing.

i'm 23 and i've rented from enterprise on several occasions without extra fees. try giving them a call.

I rented from Enterprise and I believe they charged me 10/day for being under 25. As for insurance, check with your credit card company (well, provided that your credit cards aren't solely of the "student" type). I know Visa and American Express will provide auto insurance automatically when you are renting cars. All you need to do is waive the insurance that the car company gives you. But as for prices - I think you can find a cheap flight from SF/SJ down to SD with southwest or something and it'll be only marginally more than (if not equal or less than) renting a car and driving. Plus, you don't have to spend 7-8 hours in your car each way.

yea, that reminds me DK! Southwest airlines is having a special - San Jose to San Diego for $39. renting a car will run you around there with gas. have fun down there.

~dennis