Quantcast

ReNu and Fusarium Keratitis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBlue02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey all,

I am curious what the feeling is about the MoistureLoc ReNu solution and the possibility it may be causing the Fusarium Keratitis. What are the professors at the big academic centers thinking about this topic?

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GoBlue02 said:
Hey all,

I am curious what the feeling is about the MoistureLoc ReNu solution and the possibility it may be causing the Fusarium Keratitis. What are the professors at the big academic centers thinking about this topic?

AAO's Academy Express - Academy Member Communication

Vol. V, No. 16

April 19, 2006

Source of the apparent outbreak of Fusarium keratitis remains unknown Bausch and Lomb has agreed to stop shipping the ReNu MoistureLoc brand contact lens solution. But no recalls have been issued for any product at this time. Most of the reported cases have been linked to the ReNu MoistureLoc brand contact lens solution. So far, neither Bausch and Lomb nor independent doctors have found contamination in bottles of the solution. In the meantime, the Academy has posted some helpful information online, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has posted online instructions to help physicians report cases of fungal keratitis in contact lens wearers.

Two class-action lawsuits filed against Bausch and Lomb over contact lens solution linked to Fusarium keratitis. The lawsuits were filed this week in Miami and New York on behalf of patients who believe they contracted the rare infection by cleaning their lenses with Bausch and Lomb's ReNu MoistureLoc brand contact lens solution. Florida has the highest number of cases in the country, with more than 50 reported so far. The stock price for Bausch and Lomb has plummeted.
--------------------

Time to buy BOL? http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=BOL

Visioncam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is old news. I heard of the contact lens problem in the newspaper as early as late last year.

Visioncam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Andrew_Doan said:
Two class-action lawsuits filed against Bausch and Lomb over contact lens solution linked to Fusarium keratitis.

They will probably win. The lawyers will get tens of millions and patients will get a 50 cents off coupon if you write for one.

One class action lawyer earned $90,000,000 one year. Lawyers love class action lawsuits because they can create a lot of legal fees (called billable hours). They get paid first then any money left in the settlement is distributed.

Lawyers usually have a minimum billable hour period, sometimes 20 minutes. Therefore, if they ponder on a legal matter for 3 minutes, they can bill 0.33 hours or possibly $100-150 for 3 minutes work and no documentation.

I once redeemed an award for a class action lawsuit. I got a check for cents (less than 50 cents).