akc23

2+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
In nine months me and one of my best friends will both be applying to med school. With the help of SDN and some awesome advisors, I've made myself a pretty good plan of attack, but my friend needs some new perspectives, so I was hoping you could throw me a bit of quality advice to give him!

He has a 2.8 sGPA and a 3.1 cGPA and is a 5th year senior Chem-Eng major. He has no shadowing or volunteering experience. He has one semester of required research experience for his degree but no publications. He has Cs in Physics1, Chem2, Biochem and Zoology. He is set on DO school. He needs one more semester of biology. He can fit 2 retakes in this year. Does he have a shot in the world at DO school next cycle if he makes a 4.0 and raises his GPAs to a 3.1 and 3.3 this year? He's a brilliant guy (just got sucked into the party life his first 3 years) and I don't doubt he'll make at least 90th percentile on his MCAT. Also, there will be no time for volunteering and shadowing for him this year.

Last edited:

DrPatriot

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2015
Good Ole' USA
Status
Medical Student
So he will apply with below average GPA's and absolutely no shadowing or volunteering?

No he doesn't have a shot. You have to be the complete applicant. You can have the 90th percentile MCAT but if you don't have anything else then you aren't getting in. In addition to GPA repair and taking the MCAT he needs to volunteer and shadow some doctors/get some LOR's.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
100% agree with my young colleague. My student interviewers would eat him alive.

C's in all the requirements implies med school would kill him. I don't think a single semester, or even a single year at 4.0 would save him. Those C's need to be retaken, and he4 needs to show us that he understand what he's getting into.

So he will apply with below average GPA's and absolutely no shadowing or volunteering?

No he doesn't have a shot. You have to be the complete applicant. You can have the 90th percentile MCAT but if you don't have anything else then you aren't getting in. In addition to GPA repair and taking the MCAT he needs to volunteer and shadow some doctors/get some LOR's.

Reactions: DrPatriot