Repairing GPA Questions/Solutions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QAtoPA

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-trad student going back to school after two years. I need 20 credits to obtain my B.S. but before I complete these upper division courses, I want to work and start repairing my GPA, most of the classes are lower division, a few upper division.

So I am posting in this forum because its the most visited one and should give me more responses. In terms of repairing my gpa I am focusing on retaking all the classes I can and then probably do a double major while finishing my 20 upper division credits.

The real concern is here. I started at CC (1) then went to CC (2) Went to 4 year (3) and will finish at 4 year (4). The reason of all these moving around was because of job relocation.

My question is: Classes that I received a C, D or F that are on school 2, 3 and 4, can I retake this same courses at CC (1)? I am planning to start repairing my gpa at CC (1) because its cheaper and a lot of the classes can be retaken there. I was just wondering if a class I took at CC 2 or 4 year 3/4 can be taken at CC 1 and still count towards repairing my gpa? or do I have to go back to each specific school and take the course I want to repeat there?

Also, I need ideas on how to repair the gpa/increase it?

Retaking classes is one way and since i have not obtained my undergrad this new grades will still be part of the ugpa.

Also, do you guys think double major should be a good idea in terms of repairing the gpa and showing a better upward trend?

What do you guys think is the best route to go?

I am still deciding between PA/DO-MD, it will all depend on how my grades will change. Currently my GPA sits at a ~ 2.5

Thanks guys

Ed

Members don't see this ad.

You can retake the classes anywhere, but I'd suggest they should have the same number of credit hours as the original class so you can invoke the DO application policy of only including the most recent grade for a retaken class (provided credit earned is the same or greater) when they calculate your application GPA. This results in much more rapid GPA improvement than if you were applying to MD schools, which just average both grades in. The other cautionary note is that some community colleges may not provide the same rigor in science classroom work as a four-year school, and thus may not prepare you as well to take the MCAT. You will see advice here that it is always desirable to take your prerequisite classwork at the more rigorous institution for this reason. It is also true that there are some schools that don't like to see CC credits on your transcript, but there are plenty of others that won't care as long as you do well.

Getting a double major is a good way to qualify for continued financial aid and to study another topic that you're interested in.

If I were you, I'd just be sure to get A's in the rest of the classes I needed. Only re-take a course if you really feel you need that knowledge to continue. Figure out what your GPA is going to be with all A's, If its decent then your set.
Only double major if you really want to learn something about it, not for GPA's sake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice

So you guys don't think obtaining a double major will actually help the GPA? There are other fields that I could double major, so the interest definitely exists, but will it be worth getting a double major/time to increase somewhat my GPA?

"""Only re-take a course if you really feel you need that knowledge to continue"" What about if I obtained a D or F in some of these classes that are just GE? I really wont need the knowledge, but I can really see getting As and helping the GPA. What do you guys think?

Any other advice greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eduardo

As long as you take the credit hours needed to repair your GPA, there is no benefit to actually declaring a second major. Med schools won't care if you do so or not. But some schools won't let you remain if you don't have an academic goal. And if you need loans, they may not be accessible if you don't have an excuse for staying in school once you have enough crdits to graduate. Also, declaring another major may give you precidence in signing up for certain higher-level coursework not allowed without petition to nonmajors.

The advice Disinence gave is appropriate if you plan to apply only to MD schools. For DO applicants, it's very helpful to repeat any class you got a C, D, or F in and get it replaced with an A.