Repaying student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntheDraft6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about paying off student loans. Let's put aside the arguments about interest rates and investing the money. I have multiple loans, both private and federal. I want to start putting some extra money towards them. What would be the best option?

Option 1: Taking a set amount (say $500 for this argument) and spreading it across each loan (say $50/month extra for each loan).

Option 2: Take that $500 and apply towards one loan and paying it off quickly, then taking that $500+the monthly payment for the loan that was paid off and applying it to the next loan. Repeating the process as each one is paid off.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't put aside the interest rates. Paying off higher rate loans is a wise practice.

There is also a psychological effect of having a loan paid off. One less payment per month is gratifying. It's worthwhile to concentrate on one loan for this effect alone.

I know not to dismiss interest rates, but I'm trying to just focus on the allocation of the money. I don't want to bore everyone here with the details of my interest rates. I agree with you that the psychological impact of paying off a loan, even a small one, would be a great feeling. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Option 2 all the way. Minimum payments on all student loans, then concentrating on one loan "target" and destroying it with the most firepower of that extra $500/month. I'm personally targeting my private loans first (8%) then will attack my 6.8% unsubsidized Staffords, then the rest.

Mathematically and psychologically, attacking one loan at a time is most effective.

Option 2 is the strategy I used. Even if the loans all have the same interest rates, it will be better to target one first (I would shoot for the smallest one first, unless there is a reason to do otherwise).. I have now shifted that strategy to my other debt (working on paying off my mortgage in the next few years). The best part about it is if I run into any financial trouble, I can stop the extra payments without any credit issues. If I hadn't paid stuff off I would still have minimum payments (I tend to think about worst case scenarios even if it is highly unlikely-plus leaving my job for private practice would lead to a period of time without income, this way I can do that if I wanted to)