1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Repeated and Remembered Questions

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Thaitanium, May 2, 2004.

1. Thaitanium

Thaitanium Member
    10+ Year Member

Is it true the USMLE contains repeated and remembered questions from prior examinations? Or maybe some of the questions from prior examinations are similar to current questions?

2. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the questions would at least have to be similar, or you wouldn't be able to compare examinees.

3. Vincristine

7+ Year Member

I'm not really quite sure what your question is. What's a "remembered question"? Do you really think there are 350 DIFFERENT questions for EVERY person who takes Step 1?

4. Thaitanium

Thaitanium Member
    10+ Year Member

I am asking if the USMLE repeats questions from previous examinations? Or have some of the questions from recent exams been shown to be similar to questions from previous exams? There can be only so many ways you can ask a question on a high yield USMLE topic.

5. Jaded Soul

Jaded Soul Proloxil > Zoloft
    7+ Year Member

Doesn't the answer almost have to be yes when you consider that the NBME releases sets of "retired" questions for students to look at?

The only way you'd ever know for sure is to ask people who have taken a USMLE test more than once.