Repeated Second Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missgoody2shoes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suffered from major depression and had to repeat year 2. In the event that I have an average step 1 score (220s), but improve in everything else Step 2 >235, great 3rd and 4th year, great LORs,and research. What are my chances of getting into a competitive university internal medicine program so that I can go on to subspecialize in a competitive field? I just need a plan of action.

Members don't see this ad.

Suffered from major depression and had to repeat year 2. In the event that I have an average step 1 score (220s), but improve in everything else Step 2 >235, great 3rd and 4th year, great LORs,and research. What are my chances of getting into a competitive university internal medicine program so that I can go on to subspecialize in a competitive field? I just need a plan of action.

I think if you qualify things with the word "competitive", your chances are nil. No you aren't likely to do IM at MGH and get snapped up by a top fellowship. The question is really, can you get "an" IM residency and ultimately land " a" fellowship in something (without the qualifiers). The answer to that is, probably.

Work hard, be realistic, do your research on IM programs, get into the best IM spot you can get into, work hard, match into a fellowship. It's possible and even likely that you will achieve it if you really want it, but I would agree with the poster above that your chances at "competitive" places are slim to none. Its hard for a PD to choose someone who had to repeat a year of school when there are so many applicants that didn't have to. Having said that, you don't need to match into a top IM program to land a fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
250+ step 2, lots of Hs, great LORs, and whatnot could make you competitive.

If you were ill I think that could be understood. Good luck!

Even in medicine, people are generally willing and even eager to overlook a setback that you were able to overcome.

It's when your problems become a pattern of behavior/performance that it becomes a serious issue.

That means you need to be a superstar going forward to prove yourself.

Not to rain on your parade, and not to give you an intelligent prediction on your chances of future medical training prospects, but I must inform you of something...

You state that you repeated 2nd year as a result of major depression. I know you think pointing out such a reason may alleviate the confusion, offer comfort to the deciders of your future that you're not a *****, or maybe instill compassion in the reviewer of your app, but I'm here to tell you that it will only hurt you. Medicine is a funny profession. It's one that claims to have a passion for helping others, but they eat their own at any sign of weakness. Especially mental illness. Which is ironic given that 87% of physicians have personality disorders. Unfortunately, your particular mental pathology isn't accepted very well in this gig. In your next incarnation, ask God to make you a self-hating narcissist. Then you'll get your MGH cardiology fellowship.

Not to rain on your parade, and not to give you an intelligent prediction on your chances of future medical training prospects, but I must inform you of something...

You state that you repeated 2nd year as a result of major depression. I know you think pointing out such a reason may alleviate the confusion, offer comfort to the deciders of your future that you're not a *****, or maybe instill compassion in the reviewer of your app, but I'm here to tell you that it will only hurt you. Medicine is a funny profession. It's one that claims to have a passion for helping others, but they eat their own at any sign of weakness. Especially mental illness. Which is ironic given that 87% of physicians have personality disorders. Unfortunately, your particular mental pathology isn't accepted very well in this gig. In your next incarnation, ask God to make you a self-hating narcissist. Then you'll get your MGH cardiology fellowship.
As sad as it is this is the truth.

Last edited:
Talk to people at your school who are involved in the residency selection process and who your trust. They should be able to give you a better idea. And if you do plan to provide this information in your application, you might as well talk to the program directory at your school and ask for guidance.