repeating classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jubei0766

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about repeating 2 premed classes and a science lab(I know I messesd up). But my college won't let me because they were C or better.

Also if I get Bs in repeats, would this make things look even worse(I had the materials before but that does not necessarily mean I am going to do better)?

Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Whooops, forgot to ask this in the first question...

To which type of school should I go back to repeat my classes(community college or different university)?

Thanx ;)

If it's feasible for you to do so, re-take at a university. In my opinion, it would defeat the purpose of re-taking if you are gonna do it at a community college. You need to show that you are capable of completing the coursework at a university level will good grades. Get A's in at least two out of the three classes. It will look weak if you get B's/C's. Good luck.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do the university if i were you. If you chose a community college, med schools will think that you are trying to take the easy way out. Which classes did you get the C's in? Depending on which year you are and what you overall GPA is and what your MCAT scoures are, you might not need to retake the classes. Of course, if you interview, you're gonna have to explain yourself. Good luck -- cuz we all need it.

Due in part to inadequate counseling, I retook several classes which were requirements. From what I have heard since, this is not a very good idea. First, you are expected to get A's in repeated classes since you have already studied the material. However, this is not as easy as it seems - hard classes are hard classes. What seems to be best is to stay at your school and take higher-level science classes in those departments. If you do well in these, you will show aptitude in the subject and your determination to correct past mistakes. Do not waste your time while not collecting any new credits.

I didn't see it mentioned in any of the responses so I thought I'd bring it up; even if you retake AMCAS will still use the old and new grades when they calculate you Sci/Math and Cum GPAs. So the only reason to retake is if you think you can make significant improvements. Good luck.