Repeating courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robotjim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello..

Well it looks as though I will have to repeat organic chem 2 next semester as I will most likely end up with a D this semester.. I am applying for FA 2009. Am I screwed? Have any of you guys/gals had to repeat any courses? This will be my first so hopefully it's not the end of me.

Also, when I repeat the class will my grades be averaged or will the new grade be used?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA = 3.10*
sGPA= 2.65*
MCAT in March.

*This is my current GPA breakdown.. Im not sure how much it will change after the D in organic. I have 3 other classes this semester, all of which I am doing well in(1 B 2 A's).

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA = 3.10*
sGPA= 2.65*
MCAT in March.

*This is my current GPA breakdown.. Im not sure how much it will change after the D in organic. I have 3 other classes this semester, all of which I am doing well in(1 B 2 A's).

Yea, you're probably screwed. You need to KILL the MCAT to have a shot this late in the application cycle. The science GPA is what's killing you and your cGPA is below average as well. It doesn't matter if you aced English lit if you're getting D's in chemistry. Are those two A's and the B in science courses? If so that could really toss you a lifeline. Not sure about the averaging the grades part, but you defintely will have to retake orgo. Who knows, maybe the class will get curved this time and you'll pass..

ochem is usually repeated. i wouldnt worry too much just ace that class next time. make sure you know your ochem it will defienetely help you when you take the mcat.

not really. o chem is only about 20 to 30 percent of bio section. it was a joke on mine. now it so happens that i got a 10 in BS because i pretty much aced the organic section. but if ochem is a weakness, study some and concentrate on bio, since it is the bigger part. this is the way that kaplan taught

Last edited:
listen, I repeated General Chem II and it was no problem.............they asked why and i told them....and that was it..... Just do better the second time around it will be ok. My stats where the same as yours and i got into every pod school that i applied to....My MCAT wasn't that great either.......and i still got accepted. If you check out the schools, most schools say they want your sGPA to be 2.5 to 2.7 or better... It would be nice if you could have everything above a 3.0.. most schools want a MCAT above 18. Most schools average about 21 to 25 for the mcat, which means some people get the lowest 18-19 and some people get higher 25-27. There is no true boarder for your stats as i can say from experience. My stats wasn't the best and they told me when they called me to schedule the interview that i would have to explain my not so steller grades... so i did that and it worked out... Bottom line is...your not screwed!!!!! just do it...apply now and they will wait for your MCAT to come in...b4 they interview you..but if you want a seat in the 09 class you must apply now.