Repeating Orgo and Failing. Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Somebody please give me advice on what to do. I've taken Orgo twice now, getting a C- the first time and now getting a D!!
Is this it for me. Am I going to be wasting my time applying to optometry schools? My science gpa is around a 3.0 and my regular GPA is a 3.4
I haven't taken the OAT yet but am planning to

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest I applied with a C- for OCHEM. And I got quite a few interviews and already an admission. My science and overall GPA teetered around a 2.9~3.0.

But I was undergoing medical treatment during that time... so idk?

Have you seeked help from your teacher? Repeating with a low grade is going to be a red flag on your application. Some schools won't accept a C-.
Organic chemistry is a hard class for people that don't like chemistry so you have to work at it. It sounds like you need to adjust your approach to learning and understanding the material.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do well enough on the OAT, some schools MAY be willing to overlook the C-, however, some of them also have a hard minimum (no exceptions) to that stated "C or better" rule. If you're having that much trouble in class but still buckle down and make sure you nail it on the OAT, you may be OK. How're your strengths in other subjects? Are you applying for Fall 2017? If so, it may be a little on the later side for an average application and it might be better to wait for the next cycle depending on your OAT scores. I'd call the admissions office and ask. Exceptions can be made sometimes :) Goodluck

I've talked to admissions counselors and they recommended I take another higher level chemistry class and they'll accept it in place for OChem 1. However, the schools I'm looking to apply to do accept a C-.

Do you guys recommend that I take Orgo 2 to hopefully be able to redeem myself? Assuming, I'll do better in the class. Or should I just take a higher level biology class and focus on boosting my science GPA. This will be my last semester before I apply.

Thanks a lot!

I took Ochem 2 and got an A in the class- I also took the OAT and scored a 400 in the section so I think that was a huge help in overlooking the C- in Ochem 1. I think taking the second part of the class would be a good idea!

I took orgo 1 three times when I was in undergrad. The first two times I got a D and F respectively and then the third time I pulled myself to a B+. I go to SUNY now. They did look at the discrepancy when I was interviewing, but they didn't make a big deal about it. It's doable. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users