Repeats on STEP I compared to NBME Comprehensive Exam and Online Self Assessments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mustafa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that most people agree that doing the 150 questions USMLE gives your for STEP I is worthwhile to do, inasmuch as some questions on the actual exam are repeats.

My question is, has anyone taken the NBME online step 1 self assessment and found that there are some repeats?

How about for those of you who took the paper-and-pencil NBME Basic Science Comprehensive Exam? Any repeats with those questions?

Really appreciate your feedback, since I'm debating whether to spend another $50 bucks to take the NBME online thing.

Members don't see this ad.

My class took the NBME "paper and pencil" comprehensive science exam. Our school used it for diagnostic purposes and the score didn't count.

According to the NBME, your score on this should roughly correlate to your score on Step 1 plus or minus five points in either direction. This was explained in a letter that accompanied the score sheet.

The test was 175 questions in three hours with no breaks.

Overall, only 44 percent of our class passed this exam but this was before anybody had actually started studying for Step 1. I got a 65 which translates to a score of about 184. 182 is the passing score. Considering that I marked the last 20 or so questions "C" because a) I was tired, b) the test didn't count for a grade, and c) I don't need a diagnostic test to tell me that I need to study, I don't consider that I did too badly at all. Just well enough to keep me from freaking out, but not well enough to make me cocky.

I'm take the real Step 1 on the 10th of June.