Repercussions of applying to only ONE school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carn311

Dead tired.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because of time constraints my wife will finish her masters just as I enter medical school. So, I am forced to either wait another year or apply now to only our local school: Albany Medical College.

These are my questions:

1. Will AMC know that they are the only school I am applying to?
2. If they do know will this be an advantage in gaining admission?
3. If answered YES to #2: Is it possible to write a letter of intent BEFORE interviewing? Maybe even tailor my personal statement?

I like the school so thats not a problem. The price isnt exactly right but in the end graduating a year early is more economical than holding out for a cheaper school...

Members don't see this ad.

1) Not unless you tell them
2) Not necessarily an advantage, but not a disadvantage either
3) Yes, you can say that in your personal statement if you want to.

carn311 said:
Because of time constraints my wife will finish her masters just as I enter medical school. So, I am forced to either wait another year or apply now to only our local school: Albany Medical College.

These are my questions:

1. Will AMC know that they are the only school I am applying to?
2. If they do know will this be an advantage in gaining admission?
3. If answered YES to #2: Is it possible to write a letter of intent BEFORE interviewing? Maybe even tailor my personal statement?

I like the school so thats not a problem. The price isnt exactly right but in the end graduating a year early is more economical than holding out for a cheaper school...

Albany will not know where you are applying. Nor would it be much of an advantage in terms of admission if they did, unless your credentials were such that they would be interested in you anyhow. In other words, applying to one school won't get you any points. (Especially so if you are less interested in Albany the school as opposed to Albany the location -- school's want you to be interested in them, not their city.) But if you have the stats such that you could get in anywhere, I suppose you might be able to remove any concern of Albany that you might be using them as a safety school with a well crafted letter of intent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait - why can't your wife just join you after she finishes up? Sounds like you would only have to be apart for less than one year...

personally, I would not make the location of a med school the only factor in considering to go. But if you truly like the school and if the school would be one of your top choices (if you could go anywhere) then there's always Early Decision, which would boost your chances of getting in if your stats are decent.

Unless yours stats are very high for this med school, applying to one school is a big mistake, unless you like the idea of not getting in. There's a big random factor with med schools - it means that people often don't get in where they expect and often do get in at other places. Many schools intentionally interview twice as many applicants than they'll accept so they can pick the personalities that they like. All interviewees are more than qualified. In my case, I applied to about 14, interviewed at 5, was waitlisted at 1, and accepted at 2. You might want to apply to more and increase your odds. I like the 15 number, 5 above your range, 5 at your range, and 5 below.

Yes definitely not the best idea, as you can always rank them high and choose NOT to accept the other acceptances. If you're only going to apply to one school, have a concrete plan for what to do if you don't get in. If you think, "If I don't get in, uhhhh...." then you need to either find your alternatives early or cover your bases with more than one school. (also see if there are osteopathic schools in your area if location is that much of a factor)

I agree though, your wife can join you just as easily and it may be easier for her to get a job "off synch" than getting into med school which is on a strict schedule.

Why not just apply and see? If you get in, fantastic! If you have to apply again next year when your wife is finished, then those other schools won't know you're a re-applicant, since you're applying to them the first time. I know that ohers are suggesting you apply out of state and your wife come join you later, but not everybody is up fof being away from their partner for that long. If not, just apply, and if you don't get in, you're in the same situation as if you didn't apply. So there is nothing to loose! Good luck :)
My boyfriend of many years isn't going to be able to come with me to medical school due to his own school and i know how devastated we both are about the distance, since we tried really hard to stay in the same place. So i can understand if you wouldn't want to be away . "its only a year" is a long time when you're whole life is built with another person.

Does Albany have early decision? Because that's meant for people who want to apply to one and only one school, in which case the school knows that they are your only choice. And Flopotomist, I hope you're joking! That much time away is terrible!

dunno if it means much but a few years apart in the long run is a small price to pay for being a doctor who can support his family a well off life style.. apply to many schools is my opinion. and no ive never heard of an advantage given to people who apply to one school. but if you write that in your PS they might give you special consideration..

Why don't you set up an appointment to speak with the dean of admissions before the application cycle starts? This could help a lot. They can look at your file and see if you're competitive. They'll know who you are. They'll know that if they like you and let you in, you'll go there. If you're not likely to get in, you'll know ahead of time and can plan accordingly.

SailCrazy said:
Why don't you set up an appointment to speak with the dean of admissions before the application cycle starts? This could help a lot. They can look at your file and see if you're competitive. They'll know who you are. They'll know that if they like you and let you in, you'll go there. If you're not likely to get in, you'll know ahead of time and can plan accordingly.
I second this advice. It even sounds like something I would say myself. :laugh:

I only applied to one.
saved a lot of money.

If you do not get in during your re-application you may not be given strong consideration. At some schools re-applicants have a much lower chance of admission unless you have done something to significantly strengthen your application. Other medical schools do not scrutinize re-applicants any more closely than first time applicants. While the treatment of re-applicants is very school dependent, it does have the possibility of hurting you.

If you are intent on doing this it would probably be best to make a list of all the schools where you would apply for the second time and ask them specifically how they view re-applicants