Repercussions of failing Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobtheweazel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who do fail Step 1 APMLE on their first attempt, what are the repercussions associated with that? Specifically, are those students barred from participating in 3rd year rotations until the retake? When they apply to residencies will the residencies know that it took them 2 tries to pass? Anything else to add?

Also, you get two attempts, correct? If you fail the second will the schools kick you out or will some let you repeat second year and get potentially two more attempts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how other schools work but I know that Barry will allow students to retake the exam but if they fail to pass the second time then they will be kicked out of school. As far as I know residency directors do find out if you failed part 1 and from what I have heard they will most likely ask you the reason behind it.

Reactions: 1 user
There are programs that will not grant clerkships/select people who fail part 1.
3rd year rotations are going to be a school to school issue.
Residencies do know if you took multiple tries for step 1.
To the best of my knowledge they do not know if you took 2 tries on Part 2 unless you scramble - and then they know.
The number of attempts is a school to school thing and historically some of the schools have - take your pick, shamed themselves, taken lots of money from students they knew were hopeless, given the "downtrodden" a "chance" by letting people continue to move through school without having passed part 1. A few years ago a certain school was graduating students who hadn't passed part 1. Hopefully that's a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users