repetitve strain problem - med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reddick22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of an odd question, but I currently work in IT. After years of abuse to my arms/wrists, I have a lot of issues with my upper body - wrists/forearms fatigue easliy when doing repetitve motions like typing, neck problems, rotater cuff, etc.

I need a career change, and have always had interest in going to med school. It seems to me that medicine would be a field where I could avoid aggrevating this problem (obviously I'm not going to be a surgeon). Any of you currently in med school have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like kind of a weird reason for considering medicine as a career.

In my experiences as a med student so far, I have spent a ridiculous amount of time sitting on my a$$ at a computer screen or in front of a mountain of textbooks. It's not the most ergonomical of past-times.

On a semi-related note, all you current students might find this case report cute-- it's from the CMAJ's holiday issue: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/173/12/1445

Thanks for the response.

To explain - I've always had a desire to go to med school, but just never quite was ready to commit. Now that I've had this repetitive strain problem for a few years (it clears up only to come back eventually), I decided a career change is necessary, and it seems like a good time to pursue med school.

As a med student, do you *have to* spend a lot of time at a computer - typing papers, researching, etc? Or are you referring more to the time you spend emailing/on SDN, etc? On rotations, are there a lot of actions that involve repetitive movements? I'm sure surgery has some, but medicine? I just want to make sure I'm not pursuing an occupation that will further aggrevate my problem.

Thanks.