Reply to an Online review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bronchospasm

Interventional Pain Physician
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw a 30 yr old patient who was on Suboxone and wanting pain medications. Somehow slipped in despite multilevel screening protocols in place. Normal MRI. Stated she needs pain medications , QOL was so much better on opioids etc etc. not interested in any other treatment options other than narcotics. Respectfully denied. Leaves upset.

Online review with her name and email ID was negative.

Here was my response to her negative review on Facebook.

I get a few negative reviews a year on Facebook healthgrades etc. but this one really got under my skin.

Dear ----
Please note that our specialization is interventional pain management and not medications management. We are not a pain pill clinic. We also do not have any expertise in addiction medicine or psychiatric health and thus are unable to help such patients. Some new patients expect us to continue prescriptions and are upset when we do not prescribe narcotic medications. Our ideology is based on multidisciplinary techniques to help manage your pain without relying only on addicting opioid medications. Opiates have affected our community just like most other communities across America. We hope that you get a chance to reflect on the treatment options we have recommended and get the appropriate help you need.

Members don't see this ad.

Saw a 30 yr old patient who was on Suboxone and wanting pain medications. Somehow slipped in despite multilevel screening protocols in place. Normal MRI. Stated she needs pain medications , QOL was so much better on opioids etc etc. not interested in any other treatment options other than narcotics. Respectfully denied. Leaves upset.

I get a few negative reviews a year on Facebook healthgrades etc. but this one really got under my skin.

Dear ----
Please note that our specialization is interventional pain management and not medications management. We are not a pain pill clinic. We also do not have any expertise in addiction medicine or psychiatric health and thus are unable to help such patients. Some new patients expect us to continue prescriptions and are upset when we do not prescribe narcotic medications. Our ideology is based on multidisciplinary techniques to help manage your pain without relying only on addicting opioid medications. Opiates have affected our community just like most other communities across America. We hope that you get a chance to reflect on the treatment options we have recommended and get the appropriate help you need.
I don't think it's worth replying to these.

If she mentioned narcs in her review, it's good to have a review like that because it keeps others away. If she didn't mention narcs, you could be in violation of HIPAA.

Angry pt + medical info online + identifying info = just not worth getting involved. You could say something like, "I am sorry you were not satisfied, I wish you the best."

Reactions: 6 users
I don't think it's worth replying to these.

If she mentioned narcs in her review, it's good to have a review like that because it keeps others away. If she didn't mention narcs, you could be in violation of HIPAA.

Angry pt + medical info online + identifying info = just not worth getting involved. You could say something like, "I am sorry you were not satisfied, I wish you the best."

Usually do not respond but this one really pissed me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also be tempted to respond.

Reactions: 1 users
I would also be tempted to respond.

These online reviews are a complete joke. I had someone blast me because I refused their referral. I do not want to waste the precious time of drug seekers. She then posts that I am in the pocket of insurance companies. If I had been in the pocket of insurers I would have taken the referral and cut her off after 5 minutes and said it is naproxen or bust.

We cant respond with an actual response because of HIPAA. If someone does not like their experience at a restaurant, the owner/manager can respond with actual facts, we cant. Google is no help in getting these removed. Just have your family post 5 good reviews to counter this nonsense.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it's important to note that if you acknowledge you saw the patient, it is a HIPAA violation to write that online. Doesn't matter if she made it clear she had an appointment with you.

Any response needs to be vague and short. Also if it's on a Facebook page you own you can delete the comment and block her.

try try try to laugh it off

you only have ability to lose in these situations.

Reactions: 2 users
These online reviews are a complete joke. I had someone blast me because I refused their referral. I do not want to waste the precious time of drug seekers. She then posts that I am in the pocket of insurance companies. If I had been in the pocket of insurers I would have taken the referral and cut her off after 5 minutes and said it is naproxen or bust.

We cant respond with an actual response because of HIPAA. If someone does not like their experience at a restaurant, the owner/manager can respond with actual facts, we cant. Google is no help in getting these removed. Just have your family post 5 good reviews to counter this nonsense.
In that specific example, I would absolutely respond and say that you had never seen her as a patient. People do read the one-star reviews and seeing that response would negate most of that review's influence.

"You're a bad doctor who only cares about money"

"You were never seen here as a patient" so obviously money doesn't factor in.

Yes, it's important to note that if you acknowledge you saw the patient, it is a HIPAA violation to write that online. Doesn't matter if she made it clear she had an appointment with you.

Any response needs to be vague and short. Also if it's on a Facebook page you own you can delete the comment and block her.
Untrue. Someone being a patient isn't a HIPAA violation - you can call the hospital and ask "is so-and-so admitted there" and they will tell you if they are, and often what room they are in.

Dear ----

I was in a similar situation before. Yes, suboxone patient, too.

I would be very carefully posting the reply as it's written. It reveals more information that can be inferred by readers (and poster) and can be potentially used against you for HIPAA violation.

The better to respond, is to NOT respond.

Instead, ask one of your favorite patients who would kindly leave you a favorable review, stating pretty much what you are saying above.

That is, if you really care about these review sites.

In my experience, 90% of time these review sites are worthless when it comes to find healthcare practitioners.

I also document it all in my note

it doesn't provide a rebuttal to the patient, but it does give a heads up to the next guy... as well as a little bit of catharsis (write it in the note, not online)

and also when this person Overdoses and there are law suits you did the right thing.

I also document it all in my note

it doesn't provide a rebuttal to the patient, but it does give a heads up to the next guy... as well as a little bit of catharsis (write it in the note, not online)

and also when this person Overdoses and there are law suits you did the right thing.
What do you document? That you told this person not to be on narcotics?

After much consideration, I deleted my response. There is no point in arguing with a fool.

Thanks everyone for being the sounding board.
Just irritated with the low quality people that we see in Pain Management.

What do you document? That you told this person not to be on narcotics?

outline the circumstances patient came to me with. my diagnosis, what i deemed appropriate management, what their expectations were, why we disagreed, why they may have been unhappy with my care. what else i offered them including 2nd opinion..

Last edited:
btw, perhaps best to post in the other forum...

While it is tempting to respond to online reviews; because the public does look at them and many do think that they are reliable, it is pointless and I do believe that there are HIPAA issues. ALL of my negative reviews are either drug seekers who were appropriately refused opioids or workers comp patients living off the system reporting symptoms that are not believable based on the pathology. The options are be a real doctor and do the right thing or cave in to the online equivalent of a gun to your head and do whatever pleases the patient.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Dear ----

The deletion was probably wise, just not worth running any HIPAA risks. I had one that shredded me when I spent an extraordinary amount of time and effort trying to educate and help. I had to sit and fester for weeks before I let it go. Generalities are fine, but must be very generic and not directed at anyone specifically. Best to just ignore and get some good patients to prop you up.

Reactions: 1 users