Report from SUNY interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my SUNY interview yesterday -- my first one. Everything went well, and I was much more impressed with the school than the first time I toured it (though that was over the summer a year ago, and there weren't any students around).

There were 3 people (including me) in my interview group for the morning. The first thing we were asked to do was write a short essay answering a question -- it took me about 10 minutes, but I think we had 20 to do it in so it wasn't rushed. (I hope they don't use it for a handwriting analysis -- my handwriting is pretty psycho.)

The personal interview was next. They took us in the order we arrived that morning for an individual half-hour interview with a 3-person panel. The panel was all teaching faculty, with one guy that seemed to be the senior (and crabby) guy while the other two were younger and more friendly. I was impressed at how well they knew my file -- they had clearly gone over my transcript, application and personal essay and asked me many detailed questions about each one. They each asked questions to show my interest and knowledge in the profession, and some opinion questions -- the usual. It is a very formal old-school interview, they even did the good-cop-bad-cop style thing with me -- asking me to explain my (not so stellar) organic lecture grade, and to defend some of my opinions beyond just stating them. I didn't get a lot of "non-verbal" feedback from the interviewers -- they were pleasant, but I didn't leave feeling like I aced it, and neither did the other two in my group. That isn't bad (I felt like I did fine), it's just the way formal interviews feel.

Next we had a financial aid/housing overview from financial aid, and then a tour with a faculty member from the panel. Their facilities are nice, class sizes are very small, *lots* of specialized faculty. Everything is in the one building in midtown (great location) -- the "vertical campus" they call it. The Clinic is right there, too.

Finally we had lunch with a student (we had ordered from a menu when we first got in that morning). That was very nice. The student was a 2nd-year who was very involved in student organizations. She gave us a short tour of the couple places we'd missed when we ran out of time with the faculty member (really nice of her), and then we ate lunch and asked her questions. That part of it was really nice -- she gave me a great impression of the school through her enthusiasm for it.

Overall, a nice interview experience. If anyone is going there for an interview later and has any questions, let me know! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

glad to hear that your interview went well. Is't your PCO interview tomorrow? It'll be a very relaxing interview. What time will you be there/what do you look like? mabye I'll see you! I have Pharm at 8:30 am, but we get breaks!

Just took the biggest exam of them all - biochem - yesterday. I am so happy that class is OVER! Now, i have to study for my clinical skills exam for friday!

Good Luck r_salis! :)

Thanks, Christie! (and congratulations on finishing biochem!) I'm actually looking forward to the PCO interview because I've heard it's more relaxed than the SUNY one... I'll be there tomorrow (10/23) at 9:30am until some time just after lunch. I have shoulder-length brown hair (not like my avatar!), I'll be the goofy-looking dressed-up person wearing a black jacket and grey pants. My husband's coming along -- you'd probably recognize him first because he has a long, curly ponytail. I hope we get a chance to meet!

Members don't see this ad :)
was the essay question difficult? what are your stats? what school do you go to? I am from nyc and I really want to get into suny opt but I heard it's pretty hard to get into. I just took the oat on saturday so I don't know how I did.

Hi adw,

I also took the OAT Saturday for the first time, so I don't have any scores yet. My other stats are good, but I'm a little different because I'm a returning student -- I did about 3/4 of my science requirements since coming back to school.

The essay was straightforward -- it was something like "how do you learn most effectively" (I don't remember exactly). It's not a big deal, I think they just give it to you to see that you can write something on demand and to show that you wrote your personal statement yourself.

I've heard that entrance is pretty competitive, too -- they have a really small class size, so right there the number of students accepted is limited. If you have questions about your stats, give the admissions office a call and ask to talk to a counselor there -- I think they'd give you the straight scoop.

Good luck! :)

I have an interview with SUNY Today...and as soon as i get back I'll let you guys know how it went .

My interview was easy. Here's what they asked me.

1. Why do you want to be an optometrist ? Why not other carrers in the health field ?
2. If I call your sister, how would she describe you ? ..lol.. I was like...you better not..lol...

3. What do i like to do for fun ?
4. What's my favorite movie and why ?

Here's a good advice for those of you who are interest in SUNY.

Know who u are ..and know why u are entering the profession of optometry.

Originally posted by AT747
Know who u are ..and know why u are entering the profession of optometry.
...and by the rest of your post -- know who your *sister* thinks you are. :)