Reporting a Misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koalax3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice--

I just finished my MS1 year and this past January I got arrested for a DUI with a BAC just over a limit. Therefore my charge was pled down to a wet/reckless instead of a DUI but they're basically the same thing with just fewer fines and a shorter probation period and no license suspension.

My question is...should I tell my dean about this? I know for sure they will be doing a fingerprint check and a self-disclosure questionnaire for the VA at the end of MS2 year so I would think that the VA would eventually end up asking the dean if she knew about this. So if she will probably find out, should I just bring it up with her this summer for "professionalism" or just wait until she finds out next summer and asks me about it? The only thing that is helping me (I don't even know if it matters) is that I'm in the top 5% of my class and active in a lot of programs on campus.

Also, is something like this most likely going to go on your dean's letter if you don't get suspended or anything?

Any help or insight would greatly be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

koalax3 said:
I need some advice--

I just finished my MS1 year and this past January I got arrested for a DUI with a BAC just over a limit. Therefore my charge was pled down to a wet/reckless instead of a DUI but they're basically the same thing with just fewer fines and a shorter probation period and no license suspension.

My question is...should I tell my dean about this? I know for sure they will be doing a fingerprint check and a self-disclosure questionnaire for the VA at the end of MS2 year so I would think that the VA would eventually end up asking the dean if she knew about this. So if she will probably find out, should I just bring it up with her this summer for "professionalism" or just wait until she finds out next summer and asks me about it? The only thing that is helping me (I don't even know if it matters) is that I'm in the top 5% of my class and active in a lot of programs on campus.

Also, is something like this most likely going to go on your dean's letter if you don't get suspended or anything?

Any help or insight would greatly be appreciated!
I think that it's always better to hear from the horse's mouth than from a second party. I would tell the dean so she's not caught be surprise at the end of MS2. At least this way you'll look honest and can somewhat explain yourself. Before you go, however, I would look through any policy manuals you have and see what the consequences may be in this situation so you are prepared for the chat. Best of luck.

P.S. I will refrain from lecturing you on driving under the influence because I am assuming you are an intelligent human being and know that what you did contradicted this fact and that it was just a big, fat mistake and a one time occurance.

dragonmate said:
P.S. I will refrain from lecturing you on driving under the influence because I am assuming you are an intelligent human being and know that what you did contradicted this fact and that it was just a big, fat mistake and a one time occurance.

So much for refraining from lecturing....

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an MS2, soon to be MS3. I got a disorderly conduct (Class I misdemeanor) over spring break this year and someone that knew about it actually told the dean. I had no choice, but to talk to him. I'm lucky, because our dean in very understanding. Anyways, I got a lawyer and had a small fine and 12 months of unsupervised probation. I just went to get fingerprinted for my VA rotations and asked the lady what they were looking for. She said they were mainly concerned about felonies. I talked to the dean a couple days ago and he said that most misdemeanors "fly under the radar." He also said that this was NOT going to go on my dean's letter. Basically, you aren't going to get suspended (so talk to your dean), the VA is not going to deny you a rotation, and don't be a ******* like me again (especially since you'll be on probation).

Do you think a one-time misdemeanor of petty theft (w/ adjudication witheld) would warrant the med school to take some serious action if found at the beginning of m3 year?

If your school required you to sign an honor code, you may have to report your misdemeanor. If not, I can't think of an overwhelming reason to bring it up with your Dean.

Mum is the word.... I would hush up unless you know they'll find out.