Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm a Canadian applicant to US schools (next cycle), and I got very lucky with the canadian DAT I took recently (23AA/20PAT). My carving score, however, was atrocious. I'm thinking about taking the US DAT, but there's a little something that worries me.

In the event that I don't do well (20+) on the US DAT and want to use only my Canadian DAT to apply, am I still obligated to report my US DAT scores? If I don't do well, I believe the wisest course of action would be to take my chances with the Canadian DAT and apply as a first batch applicant.

I would ask schools/AADSAS, but it's friday afternoon and I'm going to have to wait until monday to call. In the meantime, I just wanted to know if anyone else is or has recently gone through this.
Thank you for your help!

Ryn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm a Canadian applicant to US schools (next cycle), and I got very lucky with the canadian DAT I took recently (23AA/20PAT). My carving score, however, was atrocious. I'm thinking about taking the US DAT, but there's a little something that worries me.

In the event that I don't do well (20+) on the US DAT and want to use only my Canadian DAT to apply, am I still obligated to report my US DAT scores? If I don't do well, I believe the wisest course of action would be to take my chances with the Canadian DAT and apply as a first batch applicant.

I would ask schools/AADSAS, but it's friday afternoon and I'm going to have to wait until monday to call. In the meantime, I just wanted to know if anyone else is or has recently gone through this.
Thank you for your help!
I wrote both exams and I found the American DAT much, much easier even with the extra Organic Chem and Quantitative Reasoning. For example, I got 28 on reading comprehension for the American DAT but I only got a 21 for the Canadian DAT.

The reasons I think its easier is because:
1) You can choose your date. When I wrote the Canadian DAT, I had 5 exams that week and several lab reports due.
2) The questions are very basic on the American DAT and if you study out of the Kaplan BB, it covers the majority of what is on the exam. The Canadian DAT on the other hand, had questions that were not focussed and I found them extremely random.

If you write the US DAT it will be much easier for you to apply in the US. It is really difficult to send your DAT scores to American schools because some schools lose it or the CDA forgets to send it. It took me 6 tedious months to get my Canadian scores to the schools and some schools didn't even receive them. But the American DAT scores are an electronic file, so the ADA is really good about sending them to schools.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I got the impression that if you take the US DAT, they don't really care about your Canadian DAT because most US schools preferr or only take the US DAT. I'm fairly certain that if you took the US DAT you would have to indicate your scores.

Hope this helps! =)

Mar 23, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
i got a 5 on carving, but had a 23AA and only 21AA on the american DAT. i sent in my cDAT score to select schools and I really think it helped me out. indy doesnt look at carving, nyu said they take both scores into consideration, but I think the 23AA really looked great. just write the american one and see how you do, send in cdn scores once you get the american one (if cdn ones are better). there are a few other schools that don't look at carving either (BU, buffalo).

Mar 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
i got a 5 on carving, but had a 23AA and only 21AA on the american DAT. i sent in my cDAT score to select schools and I really think it helped me out. indy doesnt look at carving, nyu said they take both scores into consideration, but I think the 23AA really looked great. just write the american one and see how you do, send in cdn scores once you get the american one (if cdn ones are better). there are a few other schools that don't look at carving either (BU, buffalo).
So you hand picked which schools would receive cDAT only, and which schools would receive american/both? What about self-reporting the scores on AADSAS? Did you fill in the scores for both cDAT and american DAT? Thanks for being so helpful!

Nov 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
bumping this thread because i have the same question anyone else have experience with this? with my GPA i'm well aware I have no shot at canadian dental schools. should i only write the american DAT?