Repost =P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tobtolip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yup UTK doesn't have a med school ( I would hope not, since I attend UTK =P ). UT Martin is the one with the med school I believe.

Btw, I would like to know if anyone can tell me if UTK's reputation might hurt me when I apply to Med schools. (I heard we're the #1 party school or whatever on some sorta national reputable survey... kinda depresses me). However, I am a computer science/math major so I have pretty tough courses and pitted against very apt students.

I know its possible to get into medical schools no matter what place I attend, but I specifically want to get into UCSF (I fell in love with this school)=P (I know its a long shot, considering I'm out of state AND not in a ivy bah!) But if any of you experienced senior pre-meds could consider these factors and tell me what GPA/MCAT I'd probably need to be very competetive for UCSF I'd be very appreciative.

Oh one more thing, I dont have many "extracurriculars" besides working and studying, well really I only have one extracurricular. Its tutoring other students (i'm a math tutor for our math center here) and I really really love doing it, in fact I plan on tutoring in Chemistry as well next year. I have no other extracurriculars (clubs/sports etc.). I'm worried since this is really my only extracurricular (since I devote a lot of time to it), would admissions boards kinda look down on it? I am thinking that since tutoring is academically related (almost another form of studying) it may show that I'm too much academic oriented and have no other interests (I heard they want students who have good grades + a
"life" =P).

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what kind of mcats/gpa you need, but average accepted students have around 30/3.5 or 3.6. It is important that you do get some clinical experience before applying so med schools know that you are sure you wanna be a doctor. I also recommend community service, but only if you're intersted in it. Your clinical exp could be comm service too. What year are you now?

Welcome to SDN!

Well, right now I'm just a sophomore. However, I don't plan on taking the MCATS till my senior year, mainly because I won't have organics + physics done till after junior year (And I want to be as prepared as possible).

Also, think you could comment on this possible schedule for next semester... I'm unsure of it, thinking of dropping a class (I.E. Take physics in summer and replace with a super easy class or no class at all)...

Organic Chem I
Physics I
Differential Equations
and either Systems Programming or some other 300+ programming class (Programming classes take tons of time btw)

Thanks, also how much can my GPA falter? I currently have a pretty good GPA but I'm gonna come up with some pretty tough courses (i.e. differential geometry and even Systems Programming =P) that may take a hit on my gpa (might lower to 3.7-3.8ish)

Thanks
TobTolip

P.S. Any study tips for the MCATS??

your gpa is fine, for the mcats take a kaplan course or buy the books to it....I took orgo over the summer and bio together with physics and it worked for me...you should ask your advisor these questions, since it depends on the school and your personal situation