Reproductive Endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubster9

Crown Prince
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to obtain an REI fellowship. I know males are said to have a harder time obtaining the needed OB/GYN residency but what about for fellowship. Once in practice, what's REI's lifestyle and compensation like. Any other info on the field would be great if you could share!

Members don't see this ad.

Im doing ob/gyn right now so I have a little insight into the REI feild. Seems like the lifestyle is pretty tough for the infertility stuff. Alot of the procedures are dictated by ovulation timings so alot of weekends. I guess gyn onc is the hardest ob/gyn fellowship to get. Not sure specifically abotu REI fellowships. I wouldn't think that the disadvantage for males would carry through to REI. Certainly not to getting the fellowship and likely not to building a practice. I think that the compensations is quite impressive. I think that it is a fascinating feild. The negatives to be seem to be lifestyle and doing the ob/gyn residency.
Im sure someone else will know more than I.

Just finished an REI month.

Very good pay. Lifestyle...that's another matter. Some places don't work weekends, the office I was at did - they worked EVERY day of the year.

I personally found it to be a bit dull - egg retrievals and IVF are very routine. ZIFTs are a boring surgery, IMHO.

However, being male doesn't seem to interfere in getting the fellowship.
Kristi