Reputation of Medical Schools without University affiliation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salmonellaisafish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools that don't have university affiliations have lower reputations in the medical field due to the lack of name brandedness? Thinking of schools like Rosalind, Rush, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Every school that accepts you is awesome as hell. Wait to get in before you decide which ones you are too cool for

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo has a great reputation for clinical care and research but has a very small class.

Icahn (Sinai) was in the news recently because it is moving to the Ansonia (a condo building) on Broadway. This confused me as it seems far from the hospital. http://rew-online.com/2016/08/02/icahn-school-of-medicine-moving-to-ansonia-at-2109-broadway/
The space may be for one small outpost... Cornell did the same thing for its reproductive medicine program which has taken space near One World Trade Center.

Are there really that many other schools that fit the criteria? The Commonwealth Medical College in Scranton Pennsylvania is very new; I don't know if they've been around long enough to have gotten a reputation of any kind and even then it is likely to be a local reputation given their mission. Is Toledo unaffiliated?

Got to agree with @sb247, any school that admits you will be awesome as hell. Here's hoping you have choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Mayo, Sinai, Einstein are all schools with stellar reputations and no big name university affiliation. Focus on getting in

Mayo, Sinai, Einstein are all schools with stellar reputations and no big name university affiliation. Focus on getting in

Einstein is affiliated with Yeshiva.

Reactions: 3 users
Reputation among the general public then sure, throw a big name on a graduation slip and the lay person will think you are a genius. Among medical professionals no. Docs tend to care more where their colleagues did residency and whether or not they kill patients. Even docs who go to DO schools and the Carib get great respect from their peers if they are good doctors. Nobody really cares where you did medical school in practice

I believe they're no longer affiliated with Yeshiva after the Montefiore system bought Einstein out?

From what I've heard Yeshiva will still be granting the degrees until ~2018, but yes I believe after that it will be independent under Montefiore. CoMs are expensive to run! I think Yeshiva couldn't really afford to keep Einstein to be honest.