Reputation of Pharm School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alswl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have applied to UCSF, USC, UOP, Loma Linda, and Touro in last year's cycle and I have interviewed at UCSF, USC, UOP, and Touro. I got into Touro, rejected at UCSF, and waitlisted at USC and UOP. I have paid my deposit to Touro and am pretty much thinking that I will go to Touro if I do not get pulled off the waitlist during the summer.

However, I am still hesitant on whether I should go to Touro or wait a year and reapply. While Touro has a great program and it's close to berkeley and san francisco ( I go to UC berkeley currently) I am a little sensitive about reputation. Touro is a great school but it's only been 3 yrs since it opened and therefore it's not well known .. Also, I wanted to stay in Southern California because that's where my family lives and where I originally come from..

If I wait a year, I think I can improve my apps by improving my communication skills since I think I was rejected/waitlisted at other schools due to lack of my communication skills. However, I'd hate to waste a year.. I wanna work as a pharmacist ASAP..

Any suggestions? :confused: I always think about this as it's a hard decision to make.. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have applied to UCSF, USC, UOP, Loma Linda, and Touro in last year's cycle and I have interviewed at UCSF, USC, UOP, and Touro. I got into Touro, rejected at UCSF, and waitlisted at USC and UOP. I have paid my deposit to Touro and am pretty much thinking that I will go to Touro if I do not get pulled off the waitlist during the summer.

However, I am still hesitant on whether I should go to Touro or wait a year and reapply. While Touro has a great program and it's close to berkeley and san francisco ( I go to UC berkeley currently) I am a little sensitive about reputation. Touro is a great school but it's only been 3 yrs since it opened and therefore it's not well known .. Also, I wanted to stay in Southern California because that's where my family lives and where I originally come from..

If I wait a year, I think I can improve my apps by improving my communication skills since I think I was rejected/waitlisted at other schools due to lack of my communication skills. However, I'd hate to waste a year.. I wanna work as a pharmacist ASAP..

Any suggestions? :confused: I always think about this as it's a hard decision to make.. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reputation, in my opinion, should only be a factor if you are accepted to two schools and have to choose between them. Reputation means very little when it comes to pharmacy.

There is no difference. You could graduate from the lowest ranked pharmacy school and you still have a pharmd, same as one from a top ranked school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My $0.02 -- you got into a pharmacy school. Not everyone can say that. If you think you could be happy at Touro, I'd say go for it.

Hi,

If you got into pharmacy school, that's a feat unto itself. If you cruise through some of the other threads on here, you'll find that it's getting more and more difficult to get in. I, too, go to a school that has not been accredited yet, but we have candidate status which means everything has gone right up to now and the first class can sit for the NAPLEX in 2010 (plus our dean sat on the ACPE board so she knows what has to be done to get accredited and I'm not worried in the least). You should be able to go to the ACPE website and check out where the school stands on it's accreditation process. As long as you know the material and the ACPE says their program is on track, you should go with where you get accepted unless you have more than one to choose from. On the other hand, it's kind of nice to be part of a new school's first classes. I had the opportunity to be a founding brother of our Kappa Psi chapter and I'll most likely be one of the founding members of our chapter of NCPA.

I graduated from UC Berkeley and was accepted to Touro last year, guess where I'm at right now? It's really a no brainer. Besides, Touro is on a good track to getting their accreditation. We already have candidacy status and I'm pretty sure that Dr. Knapp, the dean of the school told you at the interview that you can take the NAPLEX regardless if they get their accreditation or not. So I don't know what there is to be hesitant about. Furthermore, what you learn in pharmacy school is not only by what the professor teach, rather it's how much YOU want to learn to help patients later when you graduate. I think you'll like it here. But if you do get in to the other school, then by all mean, go there, as they are more established (=more networking) than Touro .
Being an alumni from Berkeley, I learn that school reputation only takes you so far, I would rather go to a school with less reputation and get good grades, rather then go to Berkeley and get LOW grades. That's my 2 cents.

Before I entered high school, I used to think that those who didn't go to a reputed school were slackers. Now, I realize that it doesn't really matter where you go and that everyone is just trying to "survive". Pharmacy school especially is tough to get into, so that is a good enough accomplishment. (side not: the Ivies don't have a pharmD program...I wonder if they will eventually?)

My older brother went through a rough time in his first years at a major state college and failed out. He now attends an "easier" and lesser known college and is currently making a 3.8 gpa and will most likely get into Law school next year. Just like what nicktr23 said...I think it's better to graduate in the top 10% of your class from a less prestigious school...but I guess that really applies to undergrad degrees. Of course, I'm not saying Touro would be easy!

Before I entered high school, I used to think that those who didn't go to a reputed school were slackers. Now, I realize that it doesn't really matter where you go and that everyone is just trying to "survive". Pharmacy school especially is tough to get into, so that is a good enough accomplishment. (side not: the Ivies don't have a pharmD program...I wonder if they will eventually?)

My older brother went through a rough time in his first years at a major state college and failed out. He now attends an "easier" and lesser known college and is currently making a 3.8 gpa and will most likely get into Law school next year. Just like what nicktr23 said...I think it's better to graduate in the top 10% of your class from a less prestigious school...but I guess that really applies to undergrad degrees. Of course, I'm not saying Touro would be easy!

Where you are in class ranking once you get into pharmacy school really only matters if you want to go and do a residency, fellowship, or some other post graduate work. Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, Longs Drugs, etc. don't care at this point. With the pharmacist shortage projected to only get worse over the next five to ten years, you will have a job out there waiting for you. That being said, you should still strive to master the material as much as possible.

There is no difference. You could graduate from the lowest ranked pharmacy school and you still have a pharmd, same as one from a top ranked school.

Yup, and an MBA from the University of Phoenix is just as good as one from Brown. I mean, you still get to put MBA after your name right? Right? I guess if all you strive to do is to manage a McDonalds it doesn't matter where you go to school.

personally, i think it depends on what you want to do after you obtain your pharmD. i dont believe reputation matters if you want to work retail or open your own pharmacy. retail pharmacies are so understaffed that they would be willing to hire anyone with a pharmD at a great rate!

however, if you want to do research or work in a clinical setting, i would think that reputation matters because certain institutions are ranked higher based on the quality of its faculty, and hospitals/research institutions are looking for experts who graduated from prestigious universities...

what do you wish to apply your pharmD to?

Yup, and an MBA from the University of Phoenix is just as good as one from Brown. I mean, you still get to put MBA after your name right? Right? I guess if all you strive to do is to manage a McDonalds it doesn't matter where you go to school.

It's all relative. The reason why prestige is so important to an MBA program is different to the prestige to a Pharm D program. In business, the prestige factor is among the most highest of all academia. It obviously looks better to graduate from Wharton or Sloan than an online degree. And this points to the fact that almost any institution can offer an MBA...It is not an exclusive and guided (masters) program, so the name of where you graduate is important because it is judged for the level of education and quality that you received, as well as your character (harder to get into Harvard than Phoenix, etc)

This can work too for a PharmD, however, the level of prestige is just not as important as an MBA. To be an accredited pharmacy school, there must be a strict guideline that teaches students to pass the boards, so the quality of education has to be high no matter where. A PharmD doesn't rival MD or JD in popularity, so those kinds of programs would carry the prestige factor more. I also stated in my first post that Ivies and other "top" private colleges don't offer PharmD...which is why public schools like UT and UNC are considered to be most prestigious for pharmacy.

Where you are in class ranking once you get into pharmacy school really only matters if you want to go and do a residency, fellowship, or some other post graduate work. Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, Longs Drugs, etc. don't care at this point. With the pharmacist shortage projected to only get worse over the next five to ten years, you will have a job out there waiting for you. That being said, you should still strive to master the material as much as possible.

I definitely agree which is why I had said that I think rank applies more for undergrad degrees. You're correct about the shortage- there isn't much difference between the guy who made all As and the guy who made barely passing Cs!

I don't know that the name of your school means much if you cannot preform at the job you get! I wouldn't be so concerned with the name but rather the education that you derive from the school

Members don't see this ad :)
personally, i think it depends on what you want to do after you obtain your pharmD. i dont believe reputation matters if you want to work retail or open your own pharmacy. retail pharmacies are so understaffed that they would be willing to hire anyone with a pharmD at a great rate!

however, if you want to do research or work in a clinical setting, i would think that reputation matters because certain institutions are ranked higher based on the quality of its faculty, and hospitals/research institutions are looking for experts who graduated from prestigious universities...

Working in a clinical setting is working in hospital pharmacy. All you need is a PharmD. You do rounds with the medical team and you are there to review the meds the patient is on and if they are effective/need to be changed. I'm not sure about the research. Not many people are interested in that so if you want it, you most likely will get it. In my class of 93 I think we have maybe 3 people that will go into research. Like I said before, if you want to get residencies your school's rep might be important, but your grades and score on the NAPLEX will be more of a determinant. Getting a residency is a complex and convoluted process and from the specialized residencies you can get a board certification, depending on the specialty.

Unless you know for sure that you will be able to get in to a better school next year, I'd say you should go for Touro.

Thank you everyone so much for your suggestions!

As of now, I would like to get into hospital pharmacy since I wanna work with different healthcare professionals in a fast paced setting, and also I want to work with patients.. Does network or connection really important to get into a hospital pharmacy? What do you think..?

Thank you everyone so much for your suggestions!

As of now, I would like to get into hospital pharmacy since I wanna work with different healthcare professionals in a fast paced setting, and also I want to work with patients.. Does network or connection really important to get into a hospital pharmacy? What do you think..?

Don't worry so much about that until you get into school. You can try to get a tech job in a hospital pharmacy in the meantime. You'll be able to get a solid letter of reference from the pharmacy manager. You wont be a part of the medical team at all when you're a tech, but it gets you in the system if you want to go back to work there after you're graduated. Just get involved with the school's chapter of ASHP once you start. When you go to the mid-year meeting and the annual meeting is where you will really get some networking accomplished. Most of your profs will most likely also have a clinical job so they can keep their license and certifications.

I agree, go to UB. Even though it's nowhere near Southern California, nor did you apply there.

In all honesty, the reputation of a school is not all that important in this field. Accreditation guidelines keep the curricula of the schools fairly even, and everyone graduates with the same degree. Unless there is some clear reason to pick one school over another, go with what you've gotten into and save yourself a summer of stress.

Regardless of where you end up, you'll get a quality education and have a good time doing it.

my delimma is between western and maryland - i am located in socal already (going to western - things will be easier, family/friends around the area, warmer weather, not much change besides new school) , but maryland is a higher ranked school, with more opportunities around the area (FDA, NIH, etc) - does anyone have any suggestions? i look forward to the new lifestyle on the east coast and all the things UM can bring me, yet i hesitate when i think about the big changes ahead =/

Going to UM would mean the possibility of interning at those places during the summers. That could be a huge leg up when it comes time to job hunt after graduation or just finishing up your P4 rotations.

Just don't go anywhere near Baltimore.

I thought I would share with you a piece of my experience dealing with rankings and reputation. As an undergraduate I was accepted to Emory, Case Western, Clark, Tulane, UMiami, UTampa, Stetson, UF, and some others. Amidst the list are some very good schools, but I decided to choose the one I fit best with logically. I chose Tulane University of New Orleans in 2005 with a full-ride scholarship. Then, Hurricane Katrina caused all of the freshman at orientation to pack up and leave. I now attend The University of South Florida, as it was close to my home and accepting hurricane-affected students. The prestige of one of the country's top science programs was gone. The "Ivy League of the South" schools were no longer an option. I was worried and sad because I worked very hard in high school for my accomplishment. THE ONE THINGS I CAN SAY IS: I am so glad that I went to USF and I have 0 regrets. I LOVE USF! GO BULLS! I had a phenomenal undergraduate experience there, I made friends, and I got engaged!!!! I am a believer in the fact that EVERYTHING happens for a reason. As a USF grad, I also did okay PCAT, meaning it was what I got out of my education, and not the institution itself! Now, I will enter UF's PharmD. program in August, and I am extremely happy and blessed.

SO, when you ask me does reputation of school affect your education, your opportunities for Doctoral Programs (or residences in your case), and your personal experiences? Experiences are what you make of them, SO ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I was fortunate to get accepted to a few programs and have narrowed it down to two. So, now i'm trying to figure out which is best suited for me.
I'm leaning towards clinical pharmacy.
For residencies, does the reputation of the school really matter?
Does GPA, clerkship experience etc weigh more?
Also, does the ranking matter? One of my schools is fairly higher up than the others.

Last edited:

The shortage has been over....but thats wishful thinking of you. :laugh:

The shortage has been over....but thats wishful thinking of you. :laugh:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's like the opposite of all the threads that the pharmacists are posting.

I don't know about there being a shortage in California because I think it's getting pretty saturated now. Near UCSF there is Touro, UOP, and that Sacramento pharmacy school I can't remember the name of (CNCP?). That's just in Northern California! Touro and CNCP haven't even graduated their first class yet. I don't know about you, but I'm a tad scared. If the market does become competetive, then the school you went to might play a factor. I was told by my District Manager that the Sacramento retail market is close to saturation; not like southern CA yet. It was harder than ever this year for students from our school to find summer intern jobs. I don't know, I'm feeling a little scared.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's like the opposite of all the threads that the pharmacists are posting.

Yeah I heard the ONLY way to get a retail position now is by securing it NOW as an intern. I know a pharmacist (he graduated from UNC) he told me that ONLY ONE PERSON in their class got to work for Target and thats only because she has been a tech for them for 2 years and an intern for them for 4 years!!!! :eek: So I am calling and sending resumes NOW to target.

Being an alumni from Berkeley, I learn that school reputation only takes you so far, I would rather go to a school with less reputation and get good grades, rather then go to Berkeley and get LOW grades. That's my 2 cents.

as a cal alum myself, i completely agree with this

Does reputation matter - absolutely not (maybe).

Reputation has not been a factor for the most part. With a pharm D, you can go to work for any company that you would like. This includes retail, long-term care, hospital, compounding, nuclear, etc.

Now, for the purpose of residency or fellowships - meaning postgraduate education. Things get a little more complicated.

You will have to compete for your position in a residency or fellowship. Going to a difficult, well known pharmacy program will likely get you some form of a leg up. It is difficult to say how much of a bump a person would get. It could be nothing.

That being said - Your ability to get into a residency is largely dependent upon your ability to market yourself and apply / display your abilities. If you are ridiculously good at what you do - it wont matter what school you attended for your pharm D.

So the answer is No... maybe.

And as a corollary for Ice's post, I'd like to add "it doesn't matter for now."

As it happens with pretty much every professional field, once supply catches up with demand, positions get more and more sparse, and one of two things occurs:

1. Salaries drop, more positions are created, but the profession is devalued (Mental health is an excellent example of this happening right this very moment).

2. Salaries don't drop but in fact, the jobs are much harder to get. If you have UCSF on your Pharm.D, you may be more likely in the future to get a job over someone with a Pharm.D from Cal Northstate (Not to offend any CNCoP attendees).

The bottom line is, and I differ from my colleagues all the time on matters such as these, but I would always endeavor to get the absolute best reputation for whatever it may be accessible to me.

However, I'd hate to waste a year.. I wanna work as a pharmacist ASAP..

This attitude, my friends, is part of why we are all in the pickle that we are in. "I want, I want, I want, now, now, now." Impatience is the virtue of mediocrity.

My advice to the OP is such: If you believe that you can improve drastically upon your application via improved communication skills (And obviously you are not a POOR candidate, waitlisted at fine institutions and interviewed there as well) in a year's time, then do so. There is no waste, unless you are sitting on your duff doing nothing, and that might indeed be a waste as you are obviously a bright individual who will probably contribute to Pharmacy as a field. If you do not truly believe that your communication skills (if that is indeed why, for example, UCSF rejected you) are going to vastly improve by next cycle, take the Tuoro admission and start practicing "ASAP." It sounds to me like you'd really prefer to apply to USC again next year than to take the Tuoro acceptance.

2. Salaries don't drop but in fact, the jobs are much harder to get. If you have UCSF on your Pharm.D, you may be more likely in the future to get a job over someone with a Pharm.D from Cal Northstate (Not to offend any CNCoP attendees).

So I guess I should choose Mercer over South then? since its a better name, but its 4 years vs 3 years....I will be 28 turning 29 when I graduate from Mercer. :rolleyes:

And as a corollary for Ice's post, I'd like to add "it doesn't matter for now."

As it happens with pretty much every professional field, once supply catches up with demand, positions get more and more sparse, and one of two things occurs:

1. Salaries drop, more positions are created, but the profession is devalued (Mental health is an excellent example of this happening right this very moment).

The bottom line is, and I differ from my colleagues all the time on matters such as these, but I would always endeavor to get the absolute best reputation for whatever it may be accessible to me.

This attitude, my friends, is part of why we are all in the pickle that we are in. "I want, I want, I want, now, now, now." Impatience is the virtue of mediocrity.

My advice to the OP is such: If you believe that you can improve drastically upon your application via improved communication skills (And obviously you are not a POOR candidate, waitlisted at fine institutions and interviewed there as well) in a year's time, then do so. There is no waste, unless you are sitting on your duff doing nothing, and that might indeed be a waste as you are obviously a bright individual who will probably contribute to Pharmacy as a field. If you do not truly believe that your communication skills (if that is indeed why, for example, UCSF rejected you) are going to vastly improve by next cycle, take the Tuoro admission and start practicing "ASAP." It sounds to me like you'd really prefer to apply to USC again next year than to take the Tuoro acceptance.

Quoted for truth...

So I guess I should choose Mercer over South then? since its a better name, but its 4 years vs 3 years....I will be 28 turning 29 when I graduate from Mercer. :rolleyes:

Both 28 and 29 are extremely young to be assigning any derogatory status to them my dear. I know, in our conversations, you like to hold onto your youth - You certainly can, even at 29! In fact, much research demonstrates that women enter their endocrinological prime in their late-20s and early-30s.

I would most assuredly choose Mercer over South if indeed it has an objectively better reputation and/or higher NAPLEX test scores.

I also have a simular situation. I am not sure which school I should go to Touro or LIU? There is a diffirence of the a well known school and with a smaller/larger class, as well as the clinical of 2years or 1year. Please help:confused:

Reputation, in my opinion, should only be a factor if you are accepted to two schools and have to choose between them. Reputation means very little when it comes to pharmacy.
right now, reputation means little, but i think as the market starts becoming more saturated, reputation will mean a lot more.

So in other words reputation will matter in the near future as the demand for Pharmacist declines....which means that I am better of with LIU... am I right? :rolleyes:

I was in a very similar situation. I also went to a top ranked school and got plenty of interviews but ended up being rejected or waitlisted. In my second round of application, I got just as many interviews but ended being accepted into a school that I was waitlisted in the last round and waitlisted or rejected at schools that I was flat out rejected in the first round. By no means your situation would end up like me had you chosen to reapply. Even though I made a considerable improvement, I still didn't make the cut to get on the waitlist of a top school. If you got an interview the first time but got rejected afterwards, there might be something that the school must have seen that they don't like about (probably the interview or a relatively weak application as a whole). In my case and probably in yours too (you will know after you call the schools), it was my lack of communication skills. So if I were you, I'd call and find out before making a decision to decline Touro. There's nothing more frustuating than having to reapply to find out that the situation hasn't improved much. Then again, you wouldn't know unless you try. You still have a chance at USC/UOP. Good luck.

Hi,

Hi,

Touro University is currently not fully accredited yet, but it will be soon.

In your case, since you have no other school available, I would say go and attend Touro, unless you are certain that you can get into a fully accredited school next year.
I would not wait another year(I no longer have the nerve and stomach to handle another run at admission process). I think the admission process can really shorten life span.

..For residencies, does the reputation of the school really matter?
Does GPA, clerkship experience etc weigh more?
Also, does the ranking matter? One of my schools is fairly higher up than the others.

I saw some posts addressing the OP, not sure if that post's issue is still valid as it is about an year old.
I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the ranking system affecting residencies.
Thanks to aboveliquidice and thephoenician88 for addressing my concern.

Just to clarify, I wrote this post last year and I have chosen to come to Touro and am currently finishing up my P1 year at Touro. :)

I was surprised to see that this post was brought up again haha

Lol, it's small details like that that I miss on exams :p Yeah, I didn't even notice that.

Just to clarify, I wrote this post last year and I have chosen to come to Touro and am currently finishing up my P1 year at Touro. :)

Relevant today just as it was then - thanks for the update - good choice (from a fellow Jewish student)

So could you tell us about the decision you made? I know it's a bit of a loaded question but if you don't mind, what do you think? Do you regret not waiting a year to see if you could get in to the more "prestigious" schools or are you happy you got started with your pharmacy education and you didn't have to undergo the stress related with applying again? After your one year at Touro, what do you think about the reputation question? Thanks in advance!

Pssshawwww... I know WVU doesn't read replies longer than about 2 sentences, so it's not surprise he looked past mine and picked up on your TL;DR version. :D

No hard feelings.

Can I get some of 'dat dark meat?

Cliff's Notes > The whole boring thing.

Soon there will be recognized tiered schools in academic circles. It's not if...it's when. The original 70 or so...and the rest.

Please let me know if you like Touro and if you had an opportunity to go to LIU would you go?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW because I have to submit my deposit by next week.
Thank you for your help in advance.

So could you tell us about the decision you made? I know it's a bit of a loaded question but if you don't mind, what do you think? Do you regret not waiting a year to see if you could get in to the more "prestigious" schools or are you happy you got started with your pharmacy education and you didn't have to undergo the stress related with applying again? After your one year at Touro, what do you think about the reputation question? Thanks in advance!

I am happy that I didn't wait another year and just chose to come to Touro. I can't imagine how much stress I'd had to face if I had to reapply and go through that cycle again. Plus it wasn't guaranteed that I would get accepted this year so IF I reapplied and didn't get into any schools (or other more prestigious schools) I would've been devastated.

Touro has been preparing me well- I learned a lot, I have all my required documents (CA intern license, CPR certificate, immunization certificate etc), the faculty members are super nice (with few exceptions of course :) ), I like the classmates. Touro exposes you to the real world earlier than other schools (as far as I know) with its 2+2 curriculum and exposure to IPPE right from your 1st yr so I was happy about that.

Things that I'm not so happy about are campus, reputation (This is very subjective. some ppl don't care about reputation at all), and the fact that the curriculum is still being shaped. I, and my classmates, do have complaints about classes, professors, and the curriculum itself- but the nice thing is that they hear us and they try their best to change the curriculum for our benefits. Plus, I'm sure other students at any school would have some things that they aren't so happy about.

Reputation, since I am particularly sensitive about that, does kind of bother me at times. But it's more about when I'm telling my acquaintances where I go to school etc.- very subjective.

Please let me know if you like Touro and if you had an opportunity to go to LIU would you go?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW because I have to submit my deposit by next week.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Sorry but I only applied to schools in CA so I dont know what LIU is.. :(

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have