Request for anyone rejected from Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jedi4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine accidentally threw out my Columbia rejection letter before I got to read the whole thing, and I had really wanted to read it. I was wondering if someone could post their rejection letter here if it's not to much trouble.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear JD4,

Thank you for your interest <blah blah blah> unfortunately there was a large pool of highly qualified applicants <blah blah blah> please don't take this a a character judgement <blah blah blah> we wish you luck in your medical career.

Sincerely,
Columbia

At least that's what most of my rejection letters looked like. :)

LOL Coalboy :D

I actually was really curious to see the exact wording of the Columbia letter, because I had the impression it was very nice (comparitively) and I'm annoyed that my friend threw it out before I got to read it.

Come on... I know someone has it. :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Ms. VYC

The Committee on Admissions and I regret to inform you that we will not be able to act favorably on your application for admission to our next entering class.

It is probably that we will have to send more than three thousand letters of this type; unfortunately, such a volume precludes a description of the reasons for our decision on each application. And if we could tell you, in a number of cases, it would be impossible for us to do so becasue teh decisions have, wholly or in part, been based on information given to us in confidence or on the subjective judgments of Committee members.

This letter most emphatically does not mean that the Committee regards you as unsuited to the practice of medicine or even that it feels you could not meet the demands of our curriculum. It is the result primarily of having thousands of well qualified applicants and only 148 places in our next entering class.

I hope that you have gained admission to another medical school. The Committee joins me in wishing you well in your future medical career.

Sincerely,
Andrew G. Frantz, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions

Thanks so much VYC, I really appreciate it. :)

I never heard of anyone so anxious to see a rejection letter.

It's called closure, man. Closure.

LOL vkrn, you're right about closure. :)

That doesn't seem to be any nicer than most. It's actually kind of implying that admission committee members had something personal against you.

sounded like a nice letter to me. i hope i get as little as those as possible. :D

I remember that letter from my rejection a couple of years ago. I thought it had a distinctly snotty tone, as did all of Columbia's promotional material. Basically, they're saying this: "you didn't measure up and don't bother asking why because we're not going to tell you." Pretty rude, if you ask me.