Requesting a recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yallo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey--

I'm thinking about asking for a recommendation from the professor who taught my honors seminar in art history. I didn't really talk with her about anything besides art history, so she doesn't really know much about my personality or aspirations. She really liked my final paper though and we took trips to museums etc. so it's not like she knows nothing about me. First of all, do you advise that I ask for a rec at all? And if I should, is it OK for me to ask her through e-mail and then tell her I'd be happy to meet with her and talk more about my interest in medicine, yadayada. I feel like e-mail gives her more of a chance to say no if she doesn't feel comfortable and won't catch her off guard as much, since just dropping into her office and asking for a rec will seem a bit out of the blue, I feel.
What do you guys think?

PS I have asked for one other rec so far, and had no problem asking the prof in his office... I dropped in all semester to talk about subjects not strictly related to our course's material, but I feel like this is a different situation.

Thanks muchos!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that if she can't sell you for a million dollars then there is no point in asking her. Don't be bashful to ask her if she can write a concrete, successful letter for you. My communication teacher put it best, "If that person can't say you're the best in the world then you don't want him or her writing your letter." Why? Because it appears peculiar if a letter is bad. I think your approach through e-mail is a great idea because if she does say no then you more than likely will not have to see her besides in passing. Just swooping in and asking will appear out of the norm and also will put undue pressure on her.