Requesting advice from SDN community about Gen. Chem.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stacker

n = 1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some odd reason, I seem to be more concerned, time-wise, with first my Microbiology class and second my Calculus class. My chemistry class has third priority. I've had this habit since high school and I think it's becoming a habit now. For example, last semester I had an A in Gen. Biology, B+ in Calculus, and B+ in Chemistry. I also tend to procrastinate my chemistry studies. Did anyone else have this similar problem and find a solution? How important in chemistry and should I spend more time on Chem. than Calc.? What was your grade in Chem?

***EDIT - By the way, I go to a tier 3 school which in my opinion inflates my gpa to an extent where the grades don't really reflect how much I really got out of the class. IDK.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would recommend "procrastinating" your chemistry studies. It's a science class, which means it's important.

lol..well B+ isnt too bad for a class you dont give much time too.

All three of those count towards your science GPA anyway.

I found micro and even calc alot more interesting than gen chem so I can sympathize

I hate general chemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure I would recommend "procrastinating" your chemistry studies. It's a science class, which means it's important.

If I were somehow bound to either doing superbly well (A+) in one class but doing ok (B or even C+) in the other. Would you choose to doing well in Chemistry over Calculus because they are both considered science classes in my transcript.

I also hated gen chem but really enjoyed organic chem.

Well, what did everyone get in Gen. Chem. and what was your reflected DAT scores (Chem-section).

I got B+ in Gen chem 1 & 2 ..and i got a 25 on gen chem on the DAT

Watch out when you take Ochem II where you are supposed to deal with carbonyl chem and spectroscopy. A LOT of people find those chapters very challenging

I took 3 quarters of Gen Chem, got A,A-, and A (barely) and subsequently got a 22 in Gen chem on the DAT. I also took intro bio with the gen chem series, but focused more on chem because it was the more difficult of the two. I would personally say that learning and doing well in gen chem is more important, because you actually have to learn concepts that will be on the DAT. Biology is a lot of memorization, and I neglected to put any time into memorizing plant and animal development material that is actually on the DAT. When I studied for the DAT, I realized that I should have paid more attention to my intro bio, but it wasn't hard to make up for it with some quick memorization. Gen Chem, on the other hand, would have been disastrous if I didn't have the concepts down already. The DAT is literally like a one year gen chem final that rewards you having the most basic understanding of a concept. The questions were never really difficult or tricky if I understood what concept they were testing me on.