Requesting an appeal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to request an appeal after being rejected from a medical school?
Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone who has done this and if it worked.
I should just show up at one of the schools with my suit on and ready to interview every day for a week straight :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Scooby, sorry about the rejection. I have heard of success stories from people appealing if they were rejected prior to the receiving a secondary. One ad comm officer even told me that in case this happened to me, I should go ahead and contact them to request a review.

If it happened after submitting a secondary, I don't know how effective it will be.

Hope this helps a bit, and again, my condolences.

There's a whole thread on this (called "Appeal your rejections", I think). Someone appealed a UCLA rejection and is now a student there.

Don't waste your time with Davis though. They "are not considering appeals this year". Whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in an appeal letter last week here at UCSF. I'll let you know what happens.

Oh, and as for the other thread:
<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005453" target="_blank">http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005453</a>

APPEAL!!! What do you have to lose?!? :D

Originally posted by SwampMan:
•APPEAL!!! What do you have to lose?!? :D •••

A coveted residency spot.

Originally posted by kutastha:

I already got a response. Apparently, my MCATs, grades and life experiences do not make me a competitve candidate. This absolutely blows me away.

Andrew•••

Did you appeal at UCSF?

Originally posted by md2be06:

A coveted residency spot.•••

Nobody's going to remember in 4 years, especially if the appeal is tactfull.

Originally posted by SwampMan:

Nobody's going to remember in 4 years, especially if the appeal is tactfull.•••

Yeah, that's true. Not that premeds are known for their tact or anything. Scooby, you're already in bro. Unless you're dying to go there, I probably wouldn't appeal. Probably cause my ego is so brittle that I don't know how it'd handle one rejection. I can't imagine two, from the same school nonetheless!

Like Andrew, I appealed my UCSF rejection. I just got a letter yesterday from the dean confirming that I am not competitive in this cycle. Apparently, numbers do matter to UCSF. Good luck to those with UCSF dreams!

NO WAY will they remember you in 4 years. And if they do, it will be for taking initiative. You have nothing to lose!

Besides, the admissions people for residency and med school are completely separate.

Can I appeal for an interview if I don't get one??

Anyone done this with any sucess to score an interview?

It can be done...I appealed a Mayo rejection and b/c of my circumstances was put back in the admissions pool & granted the telephone interview. Unable to do telephone interview b/c of lack of finances would have prevented flying to Mayo if the interview went well...so I withdrew.

Bottom line in my case: had to have substantial family reasons (and no it wasn't someone working at the Mayo) for the admissions committee to reconsider.

It doesn't hurt to make an appeal, you have nothing to lose except maybe making a fool of yourself. BUT SO WHAT? Just be polite about it, and only do it if this is the school you'll definitely be attening. It's sort of rude to withdraw from a school where you appealed successfully into.

I appealed for a secondary at UCSF and got a letter a week and a half ago telling me my request had been granted and my application passed on for further review(with a secondary attaced to the letter).

I was grinning for 3 days straight :D

My best friend appealed last year after being rejected post-secondary (no interview invite). He was then invited to interview about 6 weeks later, waitlisted, accepted 3 weeks before class started, and is now in his first year at the school. Scoob, if you want to appeal dude then do it!!!