Requesting an interview before an away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferroportin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an away rotation coming up several weeks from now at a place I'm really interested in. I scheduled the rotation a while back (long before ERAS started), but it's now November and I haven't heard anything from them. The program is a good one, but not top tier, and I feel that my application is such that I should have been offered an interview (not saying I'm such a phenomenal applicant, just that my credentials are appropriate to the level of the program). So I'm thinking about whether I should ask them about an IV now. If they choose to reject me, at least I can cancel the rotation and do something more useful with that time. Is this a good idea? Or do some programs always hold IV spots for rotating students and choose to wait until the rotation to send out the invite?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going through the same thing....I've had a lot of correspondence from the clerkship coordinator at this rotation's program, and they along with the aPD know that I am coming. I have a letter from a faculty physician there, and my boards are 2sds above the applicant website's cutoff. With all of that I'd have expected an ii unless it's because they know that I'm rotating through... If it's not the case, then I have no idea.

You could try contacting the program coordinator and asking them about your situation. They may have some experience with this kind of thing and at the very least they'd be able to give you an idea as far as how many interviews have been sent out and if they're holding things back.