Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
During residency at the University of Iowa, I worked with residents and faculty to build www.EyeRounds.org. My vision is to share the ophthalmic cases presented during our daily morning rounds so that others could learn from them. The internet has expanded quickly during the last decade and has allowed authors to publish affordably and quickly. By applying the EyeRounds.org model and working with eyeOrbit.org, I plan to offer a free and accessible ophthalmic resource on the internet for students, physicians, and eye care professionals.

By contributing to the eyeOrbit case index, academic programs and practices can utilize this centralized registry of cases to share their knowledge with millions of patients, students, optometrists, physicians, and ophthalmologists. These case reports are reviewed by ophthalmology faculty and the eyeOrbit editorial review board before addition into the case index. Unlike the traditional review process of current journals where only a few faculty review the article, the cases indexed by eyeOrbit may be rated on a scale of 1 (worse) to 5 (best) by the 24,000 registered American Academy of Ophthalmology members. This rating system implements a true peer-reviewed process, and the best cases will be identified. Comments about the cases can be posted by Academy members; thus, this facilitates discussion that is not possible with traditional paper journals.

All cases are posted on the contributor's web server. eyeOrbit serves by providing a centralized web index of cases and linking of these cases. eyeOrbit encourages the submission of cases to the Editor from academic institutions and private practices. All cases will be considered. Copyrights belong to those who contribute the case. We ask that contributing authors follow the these guidelines when posting their cases on the internet.

http://www.eyeorbit.org/eyeorbitgallery/index.php

To residents and programs:

We can utilize this centralized index to link the few cases that are scattered on different training program web servers. United, we can offer a useful ophthalmic resource. :thumbup:

AnnuitCoeptis

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
MidWest
Status
The EyeOrbit Archive has the potential to be an outstanding resource. I would venture to say that this is what many academicians dreamed the internet would become--an international, freely available resource of information. While that vision has been achieved, in part, in other fields of study, the full use of the internet for education and information exchange has not (thus far) been accomplished in the field of ophthalmology. The establishment of the EyeOrbit Case Archive is one great step in that direction.

For the last few years, and most especially in this last year and a half while in Iowa, I've searched around the web for educational sites in the field of ophthalmology (tutorials, cases, atlas photos). There are many excellent sites out there. Unfortunately, each is re-inventing the wheel.

I look forward to helping contribute to--and learning from--the cases posted on the EyeOrbit site. Dr. Doan, I congratulate you publically on the excellent work that you and the CIO at AAO have done. I feel that the Academy should be commended for this proactive step in education.

Regarding the many varied, interesting, and provoking discussions taking place on this site daily, I look forward to contributing more in the near future.

OP
Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
My "marketing theory" for eyeOrbit in regards to Search Engine
Optimization is supported by the events during the last week.

By allowing a highly page-ranked site like eyeOrbit to
be fully accessed by the Google crawl engine, Google is now properly
indexing our eyeOrbit site and its content in less than one week of launching the ophthalmic case archive.

For example, search "dorsal midbrain syndrome" on Google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=dorsal+midbrain+syndrome

Out of 19,700 search results, the dorsal midbrain syndrome case is #5 on
the first page of Google: http://www.eyeorbit.org/eyeorbitgallery/details.php?image_id=196

For universities like Arkansas, who does not have a strong 'web presence', listing cases on eyeOrbit gives the university greater exposure.

Search "Idiopathic juxtafoveal telangiectasis" on Google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Idiopathic+juxtafoveal+telangiectasis

eyeOrbit is the #3 hit on the first page, under two Archives of
Ophthalmology cases. Unfortunately, the publishers decided to lock up
the Archives cases and charge $$$, and now users will read the eyeOrbit case instead.

The University of Arkansas benefited also because their case report moved
from the third page of Google to the number 3 position on the first
page.

Essentially, eyeOrbit offers a new alternative to publish ophthalmic case reports. Because of the benefit of contributing to eyeOrbit, universities and physicians will want to contribute. Those who don't, will be left behind.

OP
Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician