Requesting feedback on an idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Born2rumble1st

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So going through the application process this year made me realize just how hard it is to identify the schools you want to apply to, as so many of the schools use a mentorship model. There's no searchable database (that I'm aware of) that allows people to look for programs via professor interests. The closest that exists right now are the subject area listings for each school in the Insider's Guide, but I didn't find that to be too helpful in really narrowing down schools (and I identified schools later that hadn't been listed under my subject area in the book). Plus, it's only in book form so it is incapable of being completely up to date. So my questions are:

1. Is an online searchable database of professors something that you think people would use?
2. If so, would you be willing to pay to access it? How much would be a reasonable price? (Bear in mind that I would have to charge something for it in order to cover server fees, development costs, and the time/manpower used to keep it updated)

I'm also interested in any thoughts you might have about the idea in general. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So going through the application process this year made me realize just how hard it is to identify the schools you want to apply to, as so many of the schools use a mentorship model. There's no searchable database (that I'm aware of) that allows people to look for programs via professor interests. The closest that exists right now are the subject area listings for each school in the Insider's Guide, but I didn't find that to be too helpful in really narrowing down schools (and I identified schools later that hadn't been listed under my subject area in the book). Plus, it's only in book form so it is incapable of being completely up to date. So my questions are:

1. Is an online searchable database of professors something that you think people would use?
2. If so, would you be willing to pay to access it? How much would be a reasonable price? (Bear in mind that I would have to charge something for it in order to cover server fees, development costs, and the time/manpower used to keep it updated)

I'm also interested in any thoughts you might have about the idea in general. Thanks!

There is not one database for all professors and all areas of interest, however different APA divisions or professional organizations publish spreadsheets of mentors in a particular area. For example, the American Association of Suicidology has a spreadsheet available for all mentors in the area of suicide.

I think people would use such a database (not sure about pay for it - I personally wouldn't have), but there are plenty of other ways to find such information without having to pay for it (e.g., looking up recent articles on your topic of interest in PsycInfo to see if the authors are at grad programs and accepting students, browsing the NIMH active grants database for your topic to see who has grants in the area and where they are, posting for information on professional listservs, or hopefully having research experience in the area you want to go into and having a faculty advisor that can guide you toward compatible mentors).

I think it would also be very difficult to keep it accurate and up-to-date. Even if you used faculty webpages, a lot of times even those are out-dated as to current projects and focus of the lab.

I think it's a great idea. If it's within $20 I think I may pay for it. In order to keep it up to date, I think it may need to use a database with all topics and the professors get involved to update their topic interest once in a while, or at least once every year. I don't know how willing they will be to do it though but it's beneficial for both sides.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the idea and in theory it's great. But, as discussed in this thread

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=745812

some of the logistics make it unlikely to happen anytime soon.

I knew someone had to have thought of this before! However, some of the problems discussed there wouldn't really be applicable for me. For instance, I know some one who could build the website/create the script for me. In addition, I am more than willing to do the leg work that would be required to keep the database up to date (combing through school websites, contacting professors individually, searching databases, etc.). As mentioned above, it would be great if the professors/users could get involved to at least the extent of leaving a comment if they run across inaccurate/out of date information (and receive a partial refund for supplying the info). Of course there's a lot of kinks to work out, but it's something that I would be willing to put the time and effort into to make sure it works as advertised.

I knew someone had to have thought of this before! However, some of the problems discussed there wouldn't really be applicable for me. For instance, I know some one who could build the website/create the script for me. In addition, I am more than willing to do the leg work that would be required to keep the database up to date (combing through school websites, contacting professors individually, searching databases, etc.). As mentioned above, it would be great if the professors/users could get involved to at least the extent of leaving a comment if they run across inaccurate/out of date information (and receive a partial refund for supplying the info). Of course there's a lot of kinks to work out, but it's something that I would be willing to put the time and effort into to make sure it works as advertised.

I think you may make better than a phd. :thumbup:

Professors often do not even update their OWN websites with their current research interests. I cannot imagine that those professors would want to take the time to give you information for a money making venture unless you are planning to also give them a share of your profits. If so, then, the price to access your database will probably no longer be within the "reasonable" category.

Professors often do not even update their OWN websites with their current research interests. I cannot imagine that those professors would want to take the time to give you information for a money making venture unless you are planning to also give them a share of your profits. If so, then, the price to access your database will probably no longer be within the "reasonable" category.

I'm surprised that you think professors would be so unwilling to provide this information. I can't think of a single reason for them to not respond to an email asking them about their current research interests, aside from lack of time. It could only benefit them to have their applicant base better informed about the type of graduate student they are looking for. Whatever time they would lose responding to my email would be easily recouped by not having to wade through applications from students that are clearly not interested in the professor's field.

I also think this is a great idea, though as you mentioned, there will be plenty of kinks to work out. Speaking for myself, if I were a professor (which I'm not, yet), I would like to keep my own information updated for the aforementioned reason of having more applicants whose interests were a good fit with my own. I also think it would depend on whether or not I saw results when I first began doing so: if it works and I see a change in the applications I receive (i.e. fewer unrelated applications), I would continue to update it. If not, I would probably give up after a year or two. So, it's probably going to be contingent on whether or not students use it as well. Thus, you'd want to make sure that word gets around to applicants quickly once you get it up and running, I think.

Just my $0.02.

If you have accesss to academic search premier or a college library online system, you can look up recent articles on topics you are interested in and see where the authors are at. Also, if you have done a thesis or major research project, look up the people that you cite the most and see where they are at.

I have found it's best look at what people are currently doing and publishing, compared to a university faculty page which may have not been updated for 20 years. For instance, a prof might say they are interested in pediatric bipolar, but the last time they did that was 10 years ago. So you apply to them, and their not really into that anymore.

Also, if you know faculty first hand who know researchers who are currently doing research in something you are interested in, that's the bestest way. So your current professor at UofX tells you the amyadala is a big topic now, and Dr. XY at UofB is doing a lot of work on it, then you KNOW that professor is currently publishing. Then when you apply to their lab, you know you have the most recent, insider info on them that others that just checked out their faculty page DON'T have.

Applying to people who are not currently publishing is risky. The profs who have RECENT publications are your best bet. IMO.

If you have accesss to academic search premier or a college library online system, you can look up recent articles on topics you are interested in and see where the authors are at. Also, if you have done a thesis or major research project, look up the people that you cite the most and see where they are at.

I have found it's best look at what people are currently doing and publishing, compared to a university faculty page which may have not been updated for 20 years. For instance, a prof might say they are interested in pediatric bipolar, but the last time they did that was 10 years ago. So you apply to them, and their not really into that anymore.

Also, if you know people first hand who know people who are currently doing research in something, that's the bestest way. So you're professor at UofX tells you the amyadala is a big topic now, and Dr. XY at UofB is doing a lot of work on it, then you KNOW that professor is currently publishing.

Applying to people who are not currently publishing is risky. The profs who have RECENT publications are your best bet. IMO.

I completely agree with you. Publications are generally the best way to find out what a professor is currently working on (other than hearing directly from the prof). I'm not creating the database for personal use, however, as I (hopefully!) will get into a program this year. Rather, I want to create the database for future applicants. A sample professor profile could include:

Name
School (link to psych website)
Email
Program (clinical, counseling, etc.)
Application deadline
Key words associated with this prof (which I would pull from websites, publications, and preferably an email from the prof)
Short description/biography (if information is available)
List of 5 most recent publications
Placements of recent graduates in post/doc, internship, and employment
Match rates

And of course I'll think of other things to add later. But the primary use of the search engine would be to allow the applicant to search by key word or the text of the entire profile to identify potential mentor matches. Ideally, it would also allow limits to be placed for geographic location, average GRE score of admitted applicant, selectivity (acceptances/apps), and other useful stuff. Once the person has created a list of potential matches using the search engine, they can then do further research by actually reading some of the publications or emailing the prof directly.

Definitely this. Go to your school and use the PsychInfo or PsychArticles search engine and just search topic X by most recent. Sounds like a longer way of narrowing down professors and schools but it's actually much easier than starting with GREs GPAs blah blah blah.

I have found it's best look at what people are currently doing and publishing, compared to a university faculty page which may have not been updated for 20 years.

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh! 20 years ago, there were no "faculty pages" to even update in the first place! When I applied to grad school in the late 90s, I'd say that only a third of the programs I even applied to had websites that provided any useful information at all. You would all laugh - try going through this process without online forms, readily available information regarding faculty and programs, and no forum for exchanging who got interviews when and where! It was another time, I suppose...

Very cute. ;)

^ it's true though. I know some reputable schools who haven't updated staff pages for ages. that's pretty sad when you're supposed to be recruiting the best of the best in applicants. it throws applicants off. and it can be a turnoff to applying.

you know, this sounds like a great idea and I want to suggest using a Wiki site... where people can update profs as necessary... because someone's interests might change every 5 years or so.