Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

requesting interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by siempre595, Nov 3, 2002.

1. siempre595

7+ Year Member

quick question:
    has anybody called schools asking to be interviewed due to traveling stuff?
    I've got a Rush interview scheduled for December, and I'm applying to a bunch of Chicago places. A couple of people have told me to call U Chicago, etc asking to be interviewed around the same date. I've also heard this is too pushy. I'm already delayed cause of the August MCAT though. So let's do a vote, to call or not to call?
    what is the answer?:p

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WISC-ite

WISC-ite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I say call. Don't be suprised if the request is not appreciated though.

I called Mt. Sinai last week as I will be interviewing at NYMC and Einstein....and the lady said "it doesnt' work that way. WE decide when and if you get an interview." And all I asked was if it was a possible, not WHY don't you. Oh well, I guess I will just have to be at their mercy if I am up to par for their interview at a later date.

Cheers

4. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member
    7+ Year Member

Go for it! I am pretty sure it's why Einstein (because of NYMC) and JMC (because of Drexel) were able to get back to me in a few weeks. Just make sure you do it ASAP so they have time to review your app and let you know before your other interview comes up and you need to buy plane tix, etc. If they tell you it's not necessary, then apologize. If they tell you to submit it in writing, then do so. Make the schools work for that $100 application fee.

5. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

congrats on the interview siempre! where else do you have interviews (just curious i go to your school)

6. siempre595

7+ Year Member

jwin,
    I pm'ed you

7. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It is perfectly professional to call, especially if you have to travel a long distance (I wouldn't call if you lived an hour away from Chicago.)

Don't ASK for an interview, call, mention you're interviewing with another in the city, state your interest, and ask the likelihood of getting your interview decision in time to accomodate. Make some joke about being a poor college student.

mike

8. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i've called/emailed a couple schools trying to schedule interviews for times when i'll be in town. i haven't had any luck with it, but i didn't get any negative feedback from asking. i don't think it'd hurt to call and ask. :)

9. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, they were pretty much rat bastards about this. I sent everything to them by august. I had 3 interviews in NY/NJ in mid october, and begged and pleaded that they do something with my application, hell even reject me and get it out of the way. They told me "they hadn't gotten to my file yet", blah blah blah :rolleyes:

i booked my flight, and went to my interviews. a week later, they send me an invite. thats great, i was really hoping to shell out another 200 bucks to fly to NY again

+pissed+

10. Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member

I've had lots of luck in doing that - but just let them know EARLY and be nice about it! Don't say you want to interview on such a date, just say you'll be in town and if the committee would like to interview you, to please take that into consideration. I got about 4 interviews scheduled that way.

11. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

don't ask stanford. they are not very nice about it. even for east coasters. even with LOTS of time.