Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Heard about this today. Hope our CO approves wear early. The NWUs are better than the mechanic coveralls we wear underway, but the Type IIIs are so much better. I hope they switch to a two-piece FRV. That'd be stellar.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Not home
Status
Attending Physician
I read that they were to be authorized for wear through Oct 2019?

Whatever. The greens do look better, and have the advantage of not being obnoxiously ridiculous. I'm a little irritated because I have 4 or 5 sets including the Goretex thing. I can think of about 600 things I'd rather spend $600 on than a new set of uniforms I'll wear a couple times per year.

But surely the new top secret special pay arrangements will compensate me for that outlay. :-/

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I read that they were to be authorized for wear through Oct 2019?

Whatever. The greens do look better, and have the advantage of not being obnoxiously ridiculous. I'm a little irritated because I have 4 or 5 sets including the Goretex thing. I can think of about 600 things I'd rather spend $600 on than a new set of uniforms I'll wear a couple times per year.

But surely the new top secret special pay arrangements will compensate me for that outlay. :-/
They are. The type IIIs will be issued to recruits starting next fall, and Sailors who already have the type I will be allowed to wear them through 2019. Authorization to wear the Type III starting October 1 is command dependent.

WernickeDO

Returning to the womb
7+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2011
North
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is it true that the blueberries turn orange when someone goes overboard into salt water?

OP
Perrotfish

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Update: the Navy, in a bizarre fit of common sense, has authorized brown boots for wear with the new green NWUs in the hospitals (with command approval).

Now I'm conflicted: is it worth it to spend several hundred dollars on new Uniforms, if it means I can wear a boot that actually breathes and isn't weighed down with steel toes? I was planning to ride off into the sunset in aquaphlage but now I feel like I might need to make the switch.

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive

Cooperd0g

Something witty goes here.
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Status
Attending Physician
Update: the Navy, in a bizarre fit of common sense, has authorized brown boots for wear with the new green NWUs in the hospitals (with command approval).

Now I'm conflicted: is it worth it to spend several hundred dollars on new Uniforms, if it means I can wear a boot that actually breathes and isn't weighed down with steel toes? I was planning to ride off into the sunset in aquaphlage but now I feel like I might need to make the switch.
Only you can determine that. Are you considering getting out soon? Factor that into the decision.