Require Advise on Fellowship for my Spouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Citytime

Reaction score
Good Morning All!

I am trying to help my wife be better positioned to apply for match the 3rd time. She has gone through two cycles of fellowship match and both times didn't get an interview. We live in the New York Area, which I know is tough to match in. She applied all over the Northeast, South (Florida), and East (Ohio).

She is done with her residency and passed her boards. She wants to match into GI, but I feel she doesn't know exactly who could help or where to work to be better positioned to try again. My goal with this post is just to give some sound advice that makes sense.

Any help would be grateful.

Step 1 240-250
Step 2 230-240
Step 3 - Passed
1 Poster Award for GI

Members don't see this ad.

Your wife will have a very challenging (if not impossible) time matching, especially if this is her third attempt.

While she has appropriate board scores, she has very little research (unless she has more that you did not list). Additionally, she cannot be geographically selective. It is a mistake to not apply to all of the programs in the country. Limiting herself to a handful of states even further reduces the chances of matching.

It sounds like she needs to find a mentor who is able to guide her on this process. What kind of work is she doing now?

Reactions: 1 users
Good Morning All!

I am trying to help my wife be better positioned to apply for match the 3rd time. She has gone through two cycles of fellowship match and both times didn't get an interview. We live in the New York Area, which I know is tough to match in. She applied all over the Northeast, South (Florida), and East (Ohio).

She is done with her residency and passed her boards. She wants to match into GI, but I feel she doesn't know exactly who could help or where to work to be better positioned to try again. My goal with this post is just to give some sound advice that makes sense.

Any help would be grateful.

Step 1 240-250
Step 2 230-240
Step 3 - Passed
1 Poster Award for GI

almost close to Zero chance of matching with the info you provided.

what is she doing Now ?
Why no research ?
why no Hep year
did she do chief year ?
Does she have a mentor ?

she can’t be selective of state or program.
If she didn’t match two times there is a reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
NY is among the most friendly place for GI applicants. If she couldn’t get IV in two cycles, there is serious issue in her CV. Her scores are quite good. Does she need visa? What’s her current job situation? Any research?

As mentioned above, she should apply all programs if she wants to succeed. For this profile, no point in applying selectively

Reactions: 1 user
She’s a US citizen and her current job situation is locum’s . She doesn’t have any research under her belt and currently limited to geography, because of my job. I have a successful career as an engineer in nyc and it doesn’t make sense for me to quit.

She’s a US citizen and her current job situation is locum’s . She doesn’t have any research under her belt and currently limited to geography, because of my job. I have a successful career as an engineer in nyc and it doesn’t make sense for me to quit.

Some excellent and consistent advice for you here, how you choose to use it upto you. Family comes first, but GI is competitive. and will need a large effort from her to turn this around, especially, as other have mentioned, she is a few years out and NYC is actually a relatively friendly place to be for GI. Her locums+you having a good career means she may have the luxury of doing a research or clinical fellowship (Hep, motility, research etc), or something similar- 1 year in the grand scheme of things is not a big deal, it is a gamble of course. Scores, US Grad, both are on her side. Depending on the reputation of her IM program and her letters, she may still have a window in, but I think you two should quickly sit down and have a talk soon about what the options are, as chances are already low. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Some excellent and consistent advice for you here, how you choose to use it upto you. Family comes first, but GI is competitive. and will need a large effort from her to turn this around, especially, as other have mentioned, she is a few years out and NYC is actually a relatively friendly place to be for GI. Her locums+you having a good career means she may have the luxury of doing a research or clinical fellowship (Hep, motility, research etc), or something similar- 1 year in the grand scheme of things is not a big deal, it is a gamble of course. Scores, US Grad, both are on her side. Depending on the reputation of her IM program and her letters, she may still have a window in, but I think you two should quickly sit down and have a talk soon about what the options are, as chances are already low. Good luck.

well said couldn’t agree more.

She is limiting her chances by applying only to NY. After applying 3 times you should tell her to apply broadly. I know of many residents/fellows who have been alone for 1 or 2 years as an attempt to follow their dreams. It wouldn't be easy but it will be possible. Fellowship training is only 3 years and with love everything is possible.

Is your job paying more than the difference between her locum life and a GI career? Because that is what you all are choosing right now.

That may be fine with you, it may not...but that’s the call

The locums part and being out of residency definitely has not helped. She should have found an academic medicine job , gotten good with the GI dept, done research and then applied. She still should do those things but apply very broadly.