Require letter from academic advisor or Dean for PCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Black Adder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered a million times, but I was unable to find an answer when I did a search (I'm a tad technologically inept). I'm interested in applying to PCOM and I was looking through their website and noticed under their requirements for admission that if your college does not have a premedical committee service that you can substitute for this with "a letter from your academic advisor or Dean of the same institution". The college I went to did not have a committe letter service so I simply have 2 letters of recommendation from professors (working on getting a 3rd) and 2 letters from the PI's who's lab I've been working at for the past 3 years but I have never met or even know who my "academic advisor" is or the Dean. I went to a large public university where pretty much everyone else was a biology major like myself so I never really needed to speak with any academic advisors to figure out what classes I needed to take or whatever else you're supposed to talk about with your advisors. I was hoping someone who's applied to and been accepted to PCOM could enlighten me over whether or not these letters are actually required for admission. I don't really want to ask an advisor who I've never met for a letter of reccomendation and I doubt my dean (whoever that may be) writes letters of reccomendation for the hundreds or thousands of premeds from my university. I appreciate any insight, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered a million times, but I was unable to find an answer when I did a search (I'm a tad technologically inept). I'm interested in applying to PCOM and I was looking through their website and noticed under their requirements for admission that if your college does not have a premedical committee service that you can substitute for this with "a letter from your academic advisor or Dean of the same institution". The college I went to did not have a committe letter service so I simply have 2 letters of recommendation from professors (working on getting a 3rd) and 2 letters from the PI's who's lab I've been working at for the past 3 years but I have never met or even know who my "academic advisor" is or the Dean. I went to a large public university where pretty much everyone else was a biology major like myself so I never really needed to speak with any academic advisors to figure out what classes I needed to take or whatever else you're supposed to talk about with your advisors. I was hoping someone who's applied to and been accepted to PCOM could enlighten me over whether or not these letters are actually required for admission. I don't really want to ask an advisor who I've never met for a letter of reccomendation and I doubt my dean (whoever that may be) writes letters of reccomendation for the hundreds or thousands of premeds from my university. I appreciate any insight, thanks!

You unequivocally need the letter from either the pre-med advisor, committee or dean, no exceptions. You're going to have to do some legwork and find out who the appointed pre-medical advisor is, and set up an appointment. The dean will likely write you a letter without objection if there is no pre-med advisor, as it's a standard request. Have your transcript, personal statement, and other pertinent materials on hand to submit to whomever is going to write the letter, so they can write a more personalized one.

You need the letter but it isnt really a recommendation letter. It just has to state you graduated in good standing and had no academic problems etc. It doesnt even matter if the dean knows who you are. It should be fairly easy to get if you call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad I asked this now, rather than procrastinating and finding out when it's too late that I forgot to take care of a crucial part of my application. I just found out who our premed advisor is and I emailed her for an appointment.

I absolutely got in last year with none of the above letters.(dean, advisor, committee) I had 2 letters from science professors, one from my major (history), a volunteer supervisor's letter, and a DO letter. I don't know if it was a mistake or what, but that's the way it was for me.

I absolutely got in last year with none of the above letters.(dean, advisor, committee) I had 2 letters from science professors, one from my major (history), a volunteer supervisor's letter, and a DO letter. I don't know if it was a mistake or what, but that's the way it was for me.

Me too. I just use the LOR from my research professor as my advisor letter. I mean, he is indeed my advisor throughout my undergraduate. I rather use someone who knew me well and advised me throughout college than a dean who knew nothing about me (just cuz his official title is "DEAN" or "ADVISOR". PCOM never asked me to clarify on why I chose this LOR under the "advisor letter" category on the secondary application. If you are worried, it's best to call the admission office and ask them specifically about this.

Hmmm, I think I'll just play it safe and follow the instructions written on the PCOM website. It just worries me having to get super generic form letters from someone who has never met me.

Well cool, I'm not dissapointed that someone proved there's no such thing as "unequivocal", I needed the gentle reminder. But yeah, get it anyhow, you'll make life a whole lot easier on yourself; I know that there were a handful of people this cycle that had difficulties in the process by not having a letter from a pre-med advisor or dean.