• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

required classes

kestrelcry

15+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
  1. Psychologist
    So I just got the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs etc, etc 06-07 edition. I was looking at the classes they suggested as an absolute minimum and was wondering if you folks agree. Do you think their list is overdone? Do you think they're missing anything vital? Here it is:
    Statistics
    Research Methods
    Abnormal Psychology
    Physiological Psychology
    Learning, Cognition, Personality
    Child/Developmental Psychology

They also "heartily recommend" Social Psychology, History and Systems, Psychological Testing/Tests and Methods, and at least one lab course. Whaddyall think?

Logic Prevails

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Aug 19, 2005
      kestrelcry said:
      So I just got the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs etc, etc 06-07 edition. I was looking at the classes they suggested as an absolute minimum and was wondering if you folks agree. Do you think their list is overdone? Do you think they're missing anything vital? Here it is:
      Statistics
      Research Methods
      Abnormal Psychology
      Physiological Psychology
      Learning, Cognition, Personality
      Child/Developmental Psychology

They also "heartily recommend" Social Psychology, History and Systems, Psychological Testing/Tests and Methods, and at least one lab course. Whaddyall think?

I'd say that minimum list looks good to me. If your program offers a "history of psychology" course, or equivalent, I would strongly recommend taking it. If you have taken any practice tests, you will know there are a lot of questions about names, dates, and theories. The summer before taking my test, I took an "intro psychology" course (I had not taken it before and it did not count toward my undergrad psyc degree). I found this course to be an excellent refresher for all of those names and important dates. Otherwise, you could get by with the above coursework.

About the Ads

Psyclops

1K Member
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Feb 22, 2006
      1. Other Health Professions Student
        Well, if take the party line from admissions committees then you don't have to have taken one class in psychology to be admitted, it's only strongly suggested. But they aren't going to take anyone who hasn't had at least a certain level of undergraduate coursework in psychology. Does one have ot have taken everyone of those courses? No. I have never taken a systems & history or child evelpment course per se. But I've taken at least one of everything else.

Psyclops

1K Member
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Feb 22, 2006
        1. Other Health Professions Student
          I think it is important to remember what admissions committees are looking for. Much like any employer, they are looking for successful candidates. So that means hiring the best person for the job. They want someone who isn't going to need to play catch up once they are there. That is where all the past efforts come in. They also want somene who has potential to do good work. That is where SOP and interview come in to play.

kestrelcry

15+ Year Member
          May 22, 2006
          1. Psychologist
            Psyclops said:
            I think it is important to remember what admissions committees are looking for. Much like any employer, they are looking for successful candidates. So that means hiring the best person for the job. They want someone who isn't going to need to play catch up once they are there. That is where all the past efforts come in. They also want somene who has potential to do good work. That is where SOP and interview come in to play.

SOP?

Neuro-Dr

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jan 1, 2006
            1. Psychologist
              There is actually no APA policy on undergrad pre-reqs, but consider:

First year courses will likely include:
              Psychopathology - Abnormal as a pre-req
              Stats - stats as pre-req
              Research Methods -RM as pre-req
              Cognitive/IQ Assessment - tests and measures as a pre-req
              Personality Theory -same or intro to psych as pre-req

You can check with the schools you apply to, but that is pretty typical.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.