Required courses not on transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phyozo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm getting super stressed out about the upcoming med school process (mostly due to the "unknown" factor of whether or not we'll actually get in), but I had a quick question:

I want to get my application in as soon as possible (as in, the first day), and I have everything ready. I have a dilemma tho: I'm a 3rd year and I want to send in my transcripts in May so that when the AMCAS application can be sent in mid-june, everything will be good to go. However, I won't be taking organic chemistry lab until spring quarter which means if I do send in my application in May, that particular class grade won't be on it.

The alternative is to wait another quarter for that organic chemistry grade and send out my application end of june (instead of mid-june).

I know it's just a little question, but I'm a cali resident and really hoping to get into some of the schools here (pulling 3.9, 33Q, lots of ECs so chances should be decent if I get stuff in early).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know all transcripts are not the same, but transcripts from my university included in-process coursework, ie classes enrolled in but not having a final grade. Get a copy of your transcript for yourself and check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you don't need to boost your GPA, the grade you get in that class won't matter for application purposes.

As someone said already, pre-reqs have to be completed before marticulation, not before application. Also you can use your future grades to update the schools you apply to. It gives you something to write about in update letters.

You guys are super helpful; thanks :-D

While you may not need the GPA help, I don't think a 2-week difference in application submission makes a huge difference. However, I know many people here will think otherwise :rolleyes:

I wonder if anyone really "knows" for sure...I had always just assumed that since the application is rolling, sooner is always better.

as this question is posed nearly every day on SDN and is starting to make me feel like i've been cast in the movie groundhog day i propose a new system for all those intersted: let's invent the how late am i calculator based on all premeds not just SDNers: most primary applications at the earliest are due October 15th. (Caution: this calculator should not be used for early decision participaters). 10 being holy crap i should start shadowing my vet and 1 being yawn i'm so golden. this calculator for a regular applicant: By june 10= 0 july 10= 2.5 august 10= 5 september 10= 8 and october 10 = 10/CODE BLUE for a great MCAT and great stats : june 10= -.5 july 10= 2 august 10= 4 september 10= 7.5 and october 10= 10 for an applicant with low GPA or poor MCAT : june 10: 2 july 10: 4.5 august 10: 7 september 10: 9 october 10: 12 for an applicant taking august MCAT: : june 10: 0 july 10: 1 august 10: 3 september 10: 7.5 (note the large jump because that's when the majority of activity probably should be done) october 15: 10
NOTE I AM NO MATHEMATICIAN(OR SPELLER IF THIS IS WRONG) AND THIS IS JUST MY TAKE ONCE AND FOR ALL. SDNers tend to push the curve and add +1 to each category but i'd say based on the general population of applicants this might work.
*also i didn't take delays in processing into account

I personally found that EBI831 provided a pretty good estimation of what kind of applicant should submit their primary application early and who has more time to submit.

NN11:

Do you have a link to the original thread from which this quote was taken? I'd be interested in reading it. Thanks!