Required courses not on transcript?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Phyozo, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Phyozo

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hello everyone!

I'm getting super stressed out about the upcoming med school process (mostly due to the "unknown" factor of whether or not we'll actually get in), but I had a quick question:

I want to get my application in as soon as possible (as in, the first day), and I have everything ready. I have a dilemma tho: I'm a 3rd year and I want to send in my transcripts in May so that when the AMCAS application can be sent in mid-june, everything will be good to go. However, I won't be taking organic chemistry lab until spring quarter which means if I do send in my application in May, that particular class grade won't be on it.

The alternative is to wait another quarter for that organic chemistry grade and send out my application end of june (instead of mid-june).

I know it's just a little question, but I'm a cali resident and really hoping to get into some of the schools here (pulling 3.9, 33Q, lots of ECs so chances should be decent if I get stuff in early).

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

You have to complete the required courses before matriculation, not before application. The application will have a place for you to indicate future courses.

4. Polypeptide

5+ Year Member

I know all transcripts are not the same, but transcripts from my university included in-process coursework, ie classes enrolled in but not having a final grade. Get a copy of your transcript for yourself and check it out.

5. NN11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Since you don't need to boost your GPA, the grade you get in that class won't matter for application purposes.

As someone said already, pre-reqs have to be completed before marticulation, not before application. Also you can use your future grades to update the schools you apply to. It gives you something to write about in update letters.

6. Phyozo

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You guys are super helpful; thanks :-D

7. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    While you may not need the GPA help, I don't think a 2-week difference in application submission makes a huge difference. However, I know many people here will think otherwise :rolleyes:

8. Phyozo

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wonder if anyone really "knows" for sure...I had always just assumed that since the application is rolling, sooner is always better.

9. NN11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I personally found that EBI831 provided a pretty good estimation of what kind of applicant should submit their primary application early and who has more time to submit.

10. Phyozo

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NN11:

Do you have a link to the original thread from which this quote was taken? I'd be interested in reading it. Thanks!

11. NN11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  12. Phyozo

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    danke =)