Required graduation ceremony attendance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does your Medical school require attendance at graduation

• Yes

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Weird_fishes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to which other, if any, DO or MD schools have attendance at graduation as a requirement to graduate. Mine does. According to the handbook, unless you are hospitalized, giving birth, or have some other medical condition preventing you from attending, you are required to attend the rehearsal, awards lunch and the ceremony. Otherwise they may withhold your diploma.

Members don't see this ad.

You are required to attend the rehearsal, awards lunch and the ceremony.

Do you not want to go?

I've never been big on the ceremony part of graduation, and actually have never attended one. But when my chance comes to attend my medical school graduation, you know I'll be there. It the one I've been looking for all along...But that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Write yourself a doctor's note.

Hahaha. Maybe thats why they withhold the diploma.
It's like when I missed OMM lab because I was sick... not sick enough to go to the doctor, mind you, I just didn't think my OMM partner would appreciate me hacking up a lung in his or her face.

When the course director told me I needed a doctor's note, I almost replied, "well, write my one, Doctor!"
I mean, seriously, how do they feel when a grown adult comes in wasting their time asking for a sick note?

Reactions: 1 user
Req'd otherwise you don't get diploma.

Of course I've paid $250/year for 4 year as a "graduation fee" so I'm gonna be there and I'm taking getting my $1000 worth one way or another.

I could've thrown myself such a better party for that much $$.

Req'd otherwise you don't get diploma.

Of course I've paid $250/year for 4 year as a "graduation fee" so I'm gonna be there and I'm taking getting my $1000 worth one way or another.

I could've thrown myself such a better party for that much $$.

Graduation fee?! That's absurd.

We're required to go, and they're hounding us to stay in some fancy resort hotel where they're hosting the awards gala the night before. Something tells me they spent some of our tuition money on reserving the hotel with the understanding that they'd get it back if enough students spent about $200/night to stay there.

Not me, I gave them too much money these past 4 years to feel like I can afford a 5star hotel for 2-3 days.

So I'll show up and walk, and give them a piece of my mind in exit interview feedback too.

Reactions: 2 users
Tried to get out of going to mine but they played hardball. Walk or you don't graduate.

I understand the animosity towards universities for making the walk required, but why wouldn't someone want to walk? Im finally gonna get the degree I've been waiting for so im gonna make sure I look fresh to death on graduation day. That's just me though. Would love to hear other people's opinions on it.

I understand the animosity towards universities for making the walk required, but why wouldn't someone want to walk? Im finally gonna get the degree I've been waiting for so im gonna make sure I look fresh to death on graduation day. That's just me though. Would love to hear other people's opinions on it.
I can't speak for everyone but I'm all moved in ready for residency... 2000 miles away. Mandatory graduation ceremonies entails an expensive plane flight and accommodations for the trip. I've also been done since late April and theoretically could have spent two months doing something before residency. Having a mandatory ceremony in May breaks that up. Our gowns were 'free' but shipping and tax cost us $12 and a non med friend at another school had to pay $700 + for her gown so that can also be a huge cost. All in all I'm spending about $450 on the pomp and circumstance and that's flying southwest and staying with the girlfriend over getting a hotel. I'm going to graduation, am happy to go, and would go anyway if it's wasn't required but I can see why others would be against it and personally wish they'd change the policy.

Edit: that's not including the graduation fee of $350

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Because there are ppl like me that want to celebrate with families & friends before starting residency. Not everyone can take days off, then pay for round trip, hotel cost, and rent cars or take cabs. If you think about it, $$$ add up so not everyone can attend. I rather not attend the graduation ceremony to spend time with more important ppl in my life. Sure, there are some friends I make during school, but I'll probably celebrate with them after match. If my school doesn't have required graduation ceremony, I would not go and also save some money too.

Just like the other posters it's a big expense and time suck when I'm already maxing out my funds on moving and having a bit of fun before residency starts. Graduations are super boring, I hate going to them and I'd rather skip it and save my family from the waste of a couple hours spent listening to people reading names while playing dress-up in medieval alchemist wear.