1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Required Internship for DO's?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by JB, Feb 16, 2000.

1. JB

JB Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm a little confused because I have heard that in certain states including PA an additional internship is required for DO's to practice a medical specialty. Does this mean that DO graduates in certain states must have 2 years of intership or am I missing something?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The only rule I am aware of is that a DO cannot be licensed in 5 states (including PA) unless they do a one-year rotating internship prior to residency. After the internship, if you do a DO residency )as well as some MD residencies) you begin as a second year resident. I also heard somewhere else on this board that you can be licensed in those states without doing the rotating internship if you first get licensed somewhere else and then transfer. I should note that you have to do a rotating internship if you plan on doing a DO residency.

4. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In addition, some residencies' first year counts as your internship such as the internal med. portion of cardiology. Contact AOA if you want specifics, that's what they are there for!

5. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

rhillstr-
    Can you expand on that? I thought that you had to first complete an internal medicine residency (3 years) and then complete a cardiology fellowship (3 years) in order to become a cardiologist.