Required MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KUamanda

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what score (or higher) Duke Med prefers on the MCAT??
What about UNC Chapel Hill school of medicine???

How many Med schools do people typically apply to?

Thanks to anyone who posts. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by KUamanda
Anyone know what score (or higher) Duke Med prefers on the MCAT??
What about UNC Chapel Hill school of medicine???

How many Med schools do people typically apply to?

According to the US News 2003 Medical School Rankings, the average MCAT scores are as follows:
Duke - 11.8 per section (35 or 36 total)
UNC - 10.4 per section (31 or so total)

You are competitive to get into allopathic med schools with a score above 30. A score of 25 - 30 would be challenging, but not impossible. Note that MCAT score and GPA isn't everything, but alot of other factors are taken into account when you apply (extracirriculars, letters of recommendation, race, gender, etc...).

As for how many schools people apply to, it varies widely. The average number I'd put about 15 - 20, but that's almost total guesswork on my part. I am applying to 15, and most of the people I know are applying to more than that.

I know the number of schools that you apply to varies with your state of residence. For example, California has the highest number of applications per person....averaging 20 schools each. My friends have 26 on their list right now. It can get so expensive!:eek:

Originally posted by chapinsita
I know the number of schools that you apply to varies with your state of residence. For example, California has the highest number of applications per person....averaging 20 schools each. My friends have 26 on their list right now. It can get so expensive!:eek:

ok i am a cali resident, for 19 years.....my dad wants me to apply to all 150 medical schools. its crazy i know. and then say i get into half of them, 75 give me secondaries and if i dont wanna apply to some of the schools out of the ones who send me secondaries.......i mean i have to get in somewhere u know? money is not a problem here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Neuronix
Note that MCAT score and GPA isn't everything, but alot of other factors are taken into account when you apply (extracirriculars, letters of recommendation, race, gender, etc...).

what u mean by race.....saying that if u cxaucasian u have a higher chancw or something. (i am pakistani american). u think i will have a lesser chance since theer are so many of us anyway?

Originally posted by silver_eyes
what u mean by race.....saying that if u cxaucasian u have a higher chancw or something. (i am pakistani american). u think i will have a lesser chance since theer are so many of us anyway?

If you're a URM, or "Under-represented Minority", you will not need numbers as high as a non-URM to enter med school. It also seems that if you're female the numbers you need are slightly lower. If you're not an under-represented minority (read: white or especially asian), you have to have the highest numbers when applying.

Of course med school is a multifactorial process and they look at the whole applicant blah blah blah. Yes that is true, but it is also true that med schools feel that they need to add a good mix of all races and genders to the medical field and are doing so by promoting those who are underrepresented in the medical field.

It is how Duke says:
"Duke University prohibits discrimination and harassment and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, sex or age. We also make special efforts to recruit, employ, and promote qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans."

You and I are pakistani and caucasian respectively. We're in the non-URM catagory together.

ok so what u sayng is that b/c i am a women, i might have ahigher chance of getting to med school? TYYYYYYYTE! lol.

oh..im full paki..not caucasian. but thanks.