Required Step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Frog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on which programs are currently requiring Step II for ranking?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on which programs are currently requiring Step II for ranking?

I dunno that any of them do, either CK or CS. You might just should have a reason as to why you havent taken it when you interview as they might ask that. And absolutlely do not take it early and 'not release' your score. That is a red flag for hiding something. Hopefully some others will give additional viewpoints...

I know WVU does...but I still have no idea why.
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)

I took Step 2 CK at the end of February and Step 2 CS in March as an MS-4. It never came up on a single interview.

So what is the consensus on whether we need to take Step 2CK before rankings? Has anyone actually heard first-hand of programs who deny ranking based on lack of 2CK scores? If so, which ones?

So what is the consensus on whether we need to take Step 2CK before rankings? Has anyone actually heard first-hand of programs who deny ranking based on lack of 2CK scores? If so, which ones?

I'm not sure how many would, but i will both offer interviews and rank someone with step 2 higher than someone without, all else being equal.

Does anyone know which other programs require step 2 for ranking besides WVU. I am planning on taking step 2 in mid jan-early feb. I scored >240 on step 1 and studied hard and did well in classes/rotation. I am afraid that if I take Step 2 now I may do poorly (since I haven't been studying and it's been 6 months since 3rd year). I am also worried that if programs don't have my step 2 score they may not rank me. I know this topic has been debated before, but do any residency/attendings know which programs do/don't require step 2 for ranking?

I didn't take step two until after the match.