required: survival tips for a FoB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
squareDR said:
All I was asking for you to do is to keep an open mind and learn about complex issues from every perspective.

oh! I'm certainly not the type who subscribes to stereotypes.

How does one cope up with institutional racism? did you ever encountered it in your life? How to best avoid racist comments and where can one take her grievances about discrimination if it happens?

Members don't see this ad.

antibiotique said:
How does one cope up with institutional racism? did you ever encountered it in your life? How to best avoid racist comments and where can one take her grievances about discrimination if it happens?

I myself have never had to deal with being the victim of racism, at least not in any really harmful way. Most things, you just ignore and move on. I have mostly had to deal with people who are racists against others. The way I deal with that is to challenge people and be really outspoken about my own views. Right or wrong, at least it gets people to hear a different perspective.

squareDR said:
I myself have never had to deal with being the victim of racism, at least not in any really harmful way. Most things, you just ignore and move on. I have mostly had to deal with people who are racists against others. The way I deal with that is to challenge people and be really outspoken about my own views. Right or wrong, at least it gets people to hear a different perspective.

attack is the best defence.. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll do just fine in America as their are numerous Indian students in America doing grad school etc. One thing I'd like to add is avoid having too high expectations in America.

In India I have found many of my relatives who believe that America is perfect, everyone's rich, and their is no crime and corruption. The reality is quite different and people go through similar struggles in both countries. Poverty is not as extreme here, but it still exists. Many people struggle to pay the bills, and support their families etc.

People are essentially the same everywhere, you will meet nice, honest Americans and some really bad ones. Be yourself, accept people as individuals, and you will enjoy yourself here. Improving your English will definately help also, but most Americans are used to different accents.

Good luck and enjoy!

gwen said:
yup, be yourself. i don't think your english is all that bad, at least your written english isn't. my father always says that indians know 5x more proper english than americans.

two pieces of advice:
1) if you don't shower regularly, do so in america.
2) use deodorant

i personally find hygiene to be more of a problem with people who move here from the motherland more than their english.

don't worry about english. i think americans (at least in the east and west coast) are used to desis, be they fobs or abcds by now.

latch on to one or two good desis and learn the ways of america, but don't ever forget where you came from.

abcds dont have accents..........lol ;)

gwen said:
yup, be yourself. i don't think your english is all that bad, at least your written english isn't. my father always says that indians know 5x more proper english than americans.

two pieces of advice:
1) if you don't shower regularly, do so in america.
2) use deodorant

i personally find hygiene to be more of a problem with people who move here from the motherland more than their english.

don't worry about english. i think americans (at least in the east and west coast) are used to desis, be they fobs or abcds by now.

latch on to one or two good desis and learn the ways of america, but don't ever forget where you came from.

abcds dont have accents..........lol ......or at least i dont think;)

Believe in yourself antibiutiqueji. If your focus is on the right thing (be the best physician and a good citizen) you will be fine no matter what goes wrong.

Like bubbleboy said don't have high expectations.
don't worry about racism either. Don't feel overpowered by some stupid comments. Also, stay away from such stupidity as the work environment is
HIGHLY MULTICULTURAL - there are all kinds of people maybe you don't see them on television but they are there - like Desis but very few in media or Politics - we are getting there.

Get independent (figure what you need and where you can go to fulfill those needs like desi grocery store, car repair, apt., medical, telephone, Financial aid advisor, GENUINE DESI ADVISORS (be selective haha) and get some good desi friends (Indians come here in large nos. every year and we are achieving great success everywhere in the world. India itself is on path to greater economic strength and higher achievements)

Indians have achieved great success here in the US. Have some solid role models. lucky for us desis (Bhartiya peoples) we have lots and God willing shall continue to have more. :thumbup:

1. Wear deodorant; This is a cultural issue as opposed to a hygeine issue. There is a misconception that Indians don't bathe and are unclean which is an offensive and false notion. People in India wear talcum powder as opposed to deodorant but powder doesn't work as well as deodorant. So please purchase deodorant such as a can of Right Guard aerosal and apply it after you shower in the morning.

2. Wear dark socks with dark shoes such as black leather shoes. Don't wear white socks with dark shoes to work.

3. Don't wear bright colors like pink and turquoise blue shirts. Purchase conservative colors like white, black and khaki.

4. Don't wear white sneakers with khaki pants and other business casual clothes. If you are going to wear khakis and a polo shirt, wear conservative black or brown leather shoes not Reeboks.

5. Learn to tip well. Indians are bad tippers by American standards. I realize this is a cultural distinction because in many foreign countries, tipping is not required like it is here. Standard tipping should be 15% for average service, 20% for good service and 10% for weak service. If they are rude to you, don't tip at all.

6. Become friends with non-Indians. I know it's convenient to surround yourselves with only Indian people but attain some non-Indian friends. It will teach you a lot about this country and provide you with a different perspective on life. You will also educate those people and give them exposure to Indian culture therebye helping to spread tolerance and a greater understanding of our culture.

7. Don't be late! Try to be 10 minutes early to everything. Americans hate tardiness. If you are late a few times they will immediately label you as being someone who doesn't show up on time. If you are running late, always call the people on your cell phone and inform them that you will be running 5-10 minutes late.

8. Edit your written documents. Before sending an e-mail out, make sure you add all the proper articles or have a friend look at it first before sending it out. If it's a formal document, make sure to read over it a few times and correct the mistakes. It used to drive me crazy to read cave man english in e-mails from otherwise brilliant people.

9. Dancing tips: Don't occupy too much space on the dance floor at night clubs or discos. Don't flail your arms and occupy a lot of space on the dance floor. In America, it's cool to be subtle and stay in one place on the dance floor. I can't dance as my friends can attest but I know enough not to look like a fool. Be subtle and stay in one place. The less movement the better. Don't be Michael Jackson in the club and bump into people.

10. Get a haircut. Shah Rukh Khan and other Bollywood actors have bad hair according to American standards. Don't try to look like them. They still incorporate hairstyles from the 80's in which big feathered hair is cool. Keep your hair short and trim. You don't have to part it to the side every time. Get some pomade and spike it up a bit

11. Don't ask about GMAT, MCAT, SAT or test scores from strangers. It's rude to inquire how one performed on these exams. Never ask what grade someone else received.

12. Be subtle when trying to impress women. If you talk to a girl, be friendly and talk for a little while and then walk away after 15 minutes. You can always talk to her again later in the evening and you won't look like a stalker in the process. Don't use cheesy pickup lines or call them darling or beautiful. Pretend they are another guy in the room. How would you talk to that person. That's how you should approach women. Forget they are women and be yourself. They will like you more that way.

13. Clean your apartment. Get that hair out of the sink and shower. Wash your towels every once in a while. Keep a small towel by the sink so that you can wipe the basin after using it. Pick up your clothes off the floor. Throw away old food in the refrigerator. Keep some beer and wine in your refrigerator in case you have company aka women.

14. Don't stereotype American Desi's. They are more Indian than you think. They just have two sets of cultures so you can imagine that it can't be easy being Indian and American at the same time. But they are not as clueless about Indian culture as you might think. And deep down they do care about you but they are not going to relate to you as someone from India would. That doesn't make them any less Indian.

15. Use Listerine. Since we eat spicy food regularly, it's important to rinse off with powerful Listerene. It will wipe that raw onion smell away. Yes, I eat raw onions too and love them.

16. Dating: If you like a girl, ask her out. Don't try to be her best friend and then hope she will take your relationship to the next level. That only works in Hindi films. If you like a girl, ask her out like a man. Pick a restaurant that you like or would like to try. Approach her and say: "I have been wanting to try " ", would you like to go with me this Friday. If she says "yes" then simply say, I will pick you up at 8 PM if that works for you. Mentally prepare yourself for rejection in advance. There is no need to get nervous. Lots of guys get rejected. It's part of the process until someone says yes. Take charge on the date. Women like it when the guy has an idea what he wants to do. Order the bottle of wine at the restaurant (but let her order what she wants to eat). Don't pick too fancy of a place. Pick some place that is in between like a lounge with good music but that's fun. Don't try to make out with her on the first date. Walk her to her place or car and give her a hug. That's it. Trust me, you will get what you want on your second and third date.

fatsal said:
3. Don't wear bright colors like pink and turquoise blue shirts. Purchase conservative colors like white, black and khaki.

Is there a dress code to follow in hospitals? what a pity people dont wear brighter shades.

11. Don't ask about GMAT, MCAT, SAT or test scores from strangers. It's rude to inquire how one performed on these exams. Never ask what grade someone else received.

dont worry i didnt take any of them! :p

antibiotique said:
how to identify this "genuine" guy/gal? :p

I would say somebody who is is nonjudmental and is focused on helping you rather than displaying his achievements.

antibiotique said:
Is there a dress code to follow in hospitals? what a pity people dont wear brighter shades.

dont worry i didnt take any of them! :p

Girl, wear any color you want! Colors are awesome! Although in hopitals there are a few dress code rules like you should wear white sneakers ect, I guess you can ask what the rules are.

By the way Fatsal, that's the most comprehensive list re Fobs I've ever seen. um... you're cool. :love: :love:

i couldn't have said it better! that is one of the best answers i have seen in a LONG time! mad props to you for explaining how we abcds (well, i'm an FOBCD honestly...born there and raised partly here and there) survive.

fatsal said:
1. Wear deodorant; This is a cultural issue as opposed to a hygeine issue. There is a misconception that Indians don't bathe and are unclean which is an offensive and false notion. People in India wear talcum powder as opposed to deodorant but powder doesn't work as well as deodorant. So please purchase deodorant such as a can of Right Guard aerosal and apply it after you shower in the morning.

2. Wear dark socks with dark shoes such as black leather shoes. Don't wear white socks with dark shoes to work.

4. Don't wear white sneakers with khaki pants and other business casual clothes. If you are going to wear khakis and a polo shirt, wear conservative black or brown leather shoes not Reeboks.

5. Learn to tip well. Indians are bad tippers by American standards. I realize this is a cultural distinction because in many foreign countries, tipping is not required like it is here. Standard tipping should be 15% for average service, 20% for good service and 10% for weak service. If they are rude to you, don't tip at all.

6. Become friends with non-Indians. I know it's convenient to surround yourselves with only Indian people but attain some non-Indian friends. It will teach you a lot about this country and provide you with a different perspective on life. You will also educate those people and give them exposure to Indian culture therebye helping to spread tolerance and a greater understanding of our culture.

7. Don't be late! Try to be 10 minutes early to everything. Americans hate tardiness. If you are late a few times they will immediately label you as being someone who doesn't show up on time. If you are running late, always call the people on your cell phone and inform them that you will be running 5-10 minutes late.

8. Edit your written documents. Before sending an e-mail out, make sure you add all the proper articles or have a friend look at it first before sending it out. If it's a formal document, make sure to read over it a few times and correct the mistakes. It used to drive me crazy to read cave man english in e-mails from otherwise brilliant people.

9. Dancing tips: Don't occupy too much space on the dance floor at night clubs or discos. Don't flail your arms and occupy a lot of space on the dance floor. In America, it's cool to be subtle and stay in one place on the dance floor. I can't dance as my friends can attest but I know enough not to look like a fool. Be subtle and stay in one place. The less movement the better. Don't be Michael Jackson in the club and bump into people.

10. Get a haircut. Shah Rukh Khan and other Bollywood actors have bad hair according to American standards. Don't try to look like them. They still incorporate hairstyles from the 80's in which big feathered hair is cool. Keep your hair short and trim. You don't have to part it to the side every time. Get some pomade and spike it up a bit

12. Be subtle when trying to impress women. If you talk to a girl, be friendly and talk for a little while and then walk away after 15 minutes. You can always talk to her again later in the evening and you won't look like a stalker in the process. Don't use cheesy pickup lines or call them darling or beautiful. Pretend they are another guy in the room. How would you talk to that person. That's how you should approach women. Forget they are women and be yourself. They will like you more that way.

13. Clean your apartment. Get that hair out of the sink and shower. Wash your towels every once in a while. Keep a small towel by the sink so that you can wipe the basin after using it. Pick up your clothes off the floor. Throw away old food in the refrigerator. Keep some beer and wine in your refrigerator in case you have company aka women.

14. Don't stereotype American Desi's. They are more Indian than you think. They just have two sets of cultures so you can imagine that it can't be easy being Indian and American at the same time. But they are not as clueless about Indian culture as you might think. And deep down they do care about you but they are not going to relate to you as someone from India would. That doesn't make them any less Indian.

15. Use Listerine. Since we eat spicy food regularly, it's important to rinse off with powerful Listerene. It will wipe that raw onion smell away. Yes, I eat raw onions too and love them.

16. Dating: If you like a girl, ask her out. Don't try to be her best friend and then hope she will take your relationship to the next level. That only works in Hindi films. If you like a girl, ask her out like a man. Pick a restaurant that you like or would like to try. Approach her and say: "I have been wanting to try " ", would you like to go with me this Friday. If she says "yes" then simply say, I will pick you up at 8 PM if that works for you. Mentally prepare yourself for rejection in advance. There is no need to get nervous. Lots of guys get rejected. It's part of the process until someone says yes. Take charge on the date. Women like it when the guy has an idea what he wants to do. Order the bottle of wine at the restaurant (but let her order what she wants to eat). Don't pick too fancy of a place. Pick some place that is in between like a lounge with good music but that's fun. Don't try to make out with her on the first date. Walk her to her place or car and give her a hug. That's it. Trust me, you will get what you want on your second and third date.

fatsal said:

That's funny because as an FOB, I detest bright shades. The funnier thing is the people I work with wear bright shades and heavy jewellery... and yes they are americans, white americans.

I come from small town place in India and planning to shift to USA in near future. This is the first time I would be getting out of India. I dont have any relations or friends staying in USA. So I would be pretty much alone in USA and to make matters worse I'm not fluent in English. (thanks to my education in vernacular medium, but my TOEFL score was pretty good! ;) )

So, in short I'm very anxious about how the thing are going to turn out. Diaspora movies, with their distasteful portrayal of FoBs are not turning out to be helpful either. I would really appreciate it, if someone comes up with few practical tips, helpful links or reading suggestions, which would make it smoother for me to adjust to life in new country.
I've been there and done that. PM me if you have any questions.

LOL(Laugh out loud)... hey antibiotique... sup(whats up)... sounds like you got ur hands full with all this advice... thought I'd throw in a tip... Breath... You are brown and Americans will expect you to seem brown... the worst thing i hate is when indian people TRY TOO HARD and put on this fake american accent and try to sound all cool... so dont do that
haha... and yeah bout the bright colored shirts... leave em at home.... along with the bright colored pants...
By the way... Im sorry if this offends you but are you a guy or a girl? like I'm guessin ur a grl but i wanna be sure... cuz if you are a girl then i guess the color thing goes out the window... well i mean like when you go out with your friends you can wear whatever color and its cool but at work i think you should stick to soft colors for blouses and either black, navy blue, or kakhi for the pants or dresses....
Relax yar..... have some fun and breathe.... and where in america are you goin exactly? :)

Disagree. Cheesy pickup lines are great!

And while I see what your getting at, the wording's a little off, or something. Definitely be yourself, definitely don't be stalkerish, probably good to be subtle...But I'm not sure the way to go about impressing women is to "pretend they're another guy in the room."

I come from small town place in India and planning to shift to USA in near future. This is the first time I would be getting out of India. I dont have any relations or friends staying in USA. So I would be pretty much alone in USA and to make matters worse I'm not fluent in English. (thanks to my education in vernacular medium, but my TOEFL score was pretty good! ;) )

So, in short I'm very anxious about how the thing are going to turn out. Diaspora movies, with their distasteful portrayal of FoBs are not turning out to be helpful either. I would really appreciate it, if someone comes up with few practical tips, helpful links or reading suggestions, which would make it smoother for me to adjust to life in new country.

Who cares about fitting in...u shouldnt be worried about it.....be yourself.

I dont feel like i fit in everywhere and i could give a rat's a**. some of the greatest people to walk this earth didnt "fit in".

funny, i was thinking about moving back to India someday and was worried that as an ABCD people would hate me and that i wouldnt fit in. my language skills suck and it takes me a while to decipher what people are saying. i've got a lot of work to do.

you have to be tough to survive. people will love you for the person you are ......i've found that outside of all the small differences that exist between people, every population is the same...full of good people and bad all into one....shades of gray.

be a CHAMP...walk tall....be PROUD! nobody is going to beat u up in the U.S......if they do, contact the Civil Liberties Union and sue their ass for millions of dollars.

with globalization...Americans will be working in India before long....lol...they'll have the same concerns as you do....the world is mixing....your journey to the US is but one adventure.

that's great that you're promoting self confidence.

i just wanted to add one thought...when indians come from india, they feel the need to "impress", in a way, the americans so that they can fit in.

but believe me, i don't think americans will feel the same way if/when they go to india. first of all, most americans (this includes me) expect everyone to know english (any literate person...be it in india or europe, etc) and don't really try hard enough to learn another language. second, indians have the mentality that white = better (just look within the indian subcultures, fairer=better even if your nose is where your ears should be). they in fact, suck up to whites. perhaps its from the days of the british raj, but this is just a thought i had. no need to bash it. i'd love to hear what others have to say.

Who cares about fitting in...u shouldnt be worried about it.....be yourself.

I dont feel like i fit in everywhere and i could give a rat's a**. some of the greatest people to walk this earth didnt "fit in".

funny, i was thinking about moving back to India someday and was worried that as an ABCD people would hate me and that i wouldnt fit in. my language skills suck and it takes me a while to decipher what people are saying. i've got a lot of work to do.

you have to be tough to survive. people will love you for the person you are ......i've found that outside of all the small differences that exist between people, every population is the same...full of good people and bad all into one....shades of gray.

be a CHAMP...walk tall....be PROUD! nobody is going to beat u up in the U.S......if they do, contact the Civil Liberties Union and sue their ass for millions of dollars.

with globalization...Americans will be working in India before long....lol...they'll have the same concerns as you do....the world is mixing....your journey to the US is but one adventure.

Op, which part of the country are you planning on living in? There is a good bit of regional variation in attitudes, lifestyles, and cost of living.