Required work hours to maintain board certification and license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcm1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the work requirements to maintain ABEM certification? And does it average over years or is it an absolute annual requirement? I’m wondering how feasible it would be to take a year or two off (future planning) and easily maintain the ability to work.

I imagine the state licensing requirements may factor in as well and are likely state dependent. Any general thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware that ABEM has any work requirements. You have to keep up with CME. You have to have an active state liscense. You have to do so many 4 LLSA's for every 5 year period. And you have to certify that you participate in patient satisfaction and QI in your department once every 5 years. But I don't think there are any specific work requirements

Reactions: 1 user
I’d also factor the individual hospital credentialing committees into the mix. Ours would look very closely at someone who hasn’t been clinically active in two years. We’ve had a lot of difficulty even credentialing physicians who’ve practiced exclusively in a freestanding environment for 1-2 years and trying to transition back into the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think ABEM has any, but JCAHO and your state may, and hospitals certainly will.