1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

Required work hours to maintain board certification and license

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by kcm1984, Jan 11, 2019.

1. kcm1984

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone know the work requirements to maintain ABEM certification? And does it average over years or is it an absolute annual requirement? I’m wondering how feasible it would be to take a year or two off (future planning) and easily maintain the ability to work.

I imagine the state licensing requirements may factor in as well and are likely state dependent. Any general thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

2. gamerEMdoc

gamerEMdoc Associate PD; EM Clerkship Director
    Physician Faculty Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not aware that ABEM has any work requirements. You have to keep up with CME. You have to have an active state liscense. You have to do so many 4 LLSA's for every 5 year period. And you have to certify that you participate in patient satisfaction and QI in your department once every 5 years. But I don't think there are any specific work requirements

miacomet likes this.
  3. EM Junkie

EM Junkie SDN Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 15+ Year Member

I’d also factor the individual hospital credentialing committees into the mix. Ours would look very closely at someone who hasn’t been clinically active in two years. We’ve had a lot of difficulty even credentialing physicians who’ve practiced exclusively in a freestanding environment for 1-2 years and trying to transition back into the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

gamerEMdoc likes this.
  4. miacomet

Attending Physician
    I don't think ABEM has any, but JCAHO and your state may, and hospitals certainly will.