1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Requirement to complete a Master's Degree before Matriculation?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by rheinlds, Jul 22, 2011.

1. rheinlds

Dental Student
    Firstly, this is not a "should I do a masters degree and improve my ... thread". No offense to those who ask that question though. First time poster here, though long time lurker.

My situation is regarding the policy of a certain school that I up to this time was not aware of. It states that if a student was to be accepted to the said school, they will not accept them unless he or she completes the master's program with which they are involved. Said reason being given, is that they don't want to steal the student away from other programs. However I feel that its detrimental to both students and the school itself.

I am a graduate with my BS in Biology. GPA is 3.8 and my old DAT is a 20 with a 19 PAT. Plenty strong enough I feel to apply to many schools. The problem however is that since I am applying for entry into schools in fall of 2012, I was looking at what I was going to do for the next year. Given a choice between working some job as a waiter or lifeguard(I don't have the money to go around and have fun or do anything else but work...) and joining a masters program for a year, being a TA and generally improving myself as much I can, I choose the masters program. I never intended at all to complete the entire thing. I am not doing this because I need to improve my academics, I am doing this because this is what I want to do.

So I now pretty much have the best TA position with my school and a great line up of courses that I know would be awesome but I am being told that if I want a chance to get into the only instate school that's an option for me I have to give it up. I also feel that in light of becoming a dentist, the masters degree would pretty much be overshadowed and comparatively a waste of time, at least for me and those like me.

Thoughts?

A bit more information: I became a masters student because of the requirements for the TA position, this position is also the very thing allowing me to continue my education due to the benefits it provides.

#1 rheinlds, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sisero68

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    look into a one year masters of arts degree... you earn your masters, you are free to matriculate into a dental program in 2012, it gives you opportunity to add research, TA positions, upper level sciences, and they are fairly common at most state colleges.

This i feel is a great path and one i am taking for myself.

4. rheinlds

Dental Student
    The courses I am taking though, along with the TA position leverage on my status as a Biomedical masters student; so while that may be an option in another situation it sadly is not one for me. I appreciate the quick reply though.

5. youknowthedrill

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    See if you can set up a meeting with someone in admissions at your state school ASAP and explain your situation. Emphasize that dentistry is your ultimate goal and you are enrolling in a masters to keep your study skills up. Maybe this is a stated policy, but they are willing to bend the rules? Good luck!