1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Requirements: Biochemistry vs. 2nd semester Organic Chemistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by bedris, Feb 21, 2007.

1. bedris

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  2. AlphaQUp

2+ Year Member

Some schools might and others might not. It's best to contact the schools you are interested in and see what they say.

3. Mila

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Most of the schools I applied to required 2 semesters or OChem and a semester of Biochem...

4. vellnueve

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Tufts requires 1 semester of OChem and 1 of Biochem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Whahoo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I believe that Ochem is a universal requirement for Dental schools while Biochem is only required for a handful of school. Substituting Biochem for Ochem is going to be a rare exception of at all. Plus I would recommend that you take both anyways to challenge your self and boost your resume by showing some depth in your courcework. Dental applications are getting very competetive, so just completing the 'requirements' really don't cut it anymore. GL

6. bassman65

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    and besides the whole cutting corners thing that was mentioned above me, I'd also like to point out that much of the orgo on the DAT is from the second semester Organic Chem. So if you are planning on taking the DAT anytime soon, you'll want to have that knowledge too. My DAT had alot on benzene reactions and IR spec that is taught in the second semester.

Plus, every school I applied to required 2 semesters of orgo. Just suck it up and take it. I think it was easier than first semester orgo and it really helped since i scored a 28 on the orgo section of the DAT.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. markimark

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    most schools have a year of orgo as a prereq for biochemistry, so i don't know how you'd even sign up for class...besides, taking orgo II is definitely worth it because of the DAT.

8. OP
    OP
    bedris

Thanks very much for the responses, guys. I appreciate your insight and knowledge on the situation.

9. jmick101

jmick101 Kung Fu DDS
    10+ Year Member

Dentist