Requirements: Biochemistry vs. 2nd semester Organic Chemistry

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

AlphaQUp

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Some schools might and others might not. It's best to contact the schools you are interested in and see what they say.

Mila

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Most of the schools I applied to required 2 semesters or OChem and a semester of Biochem...

About the Ads

Whahoo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I believe that Ochem is a universal requirement for Dental schools while Biochem is only required for a handful of school. Substituting Biochem for Ochem is going to be a rare exception of at all. Plus I would recommend that you take both anyways to challenge your self and boost your resume by showing some depth in your courcework. Dental applications are getting very competetive, so just completing the 'requirements' really don't cut it anymore. GL

bassman65

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
and besides the whole cutting corners thing that was mentioned above me, I'd also like to point out that much of the orgo on the DAT is from the second semester Organic Chem. So if you are planning on taking the DAT anytime soon, you'll want to have that knowledge too. My DAT had alot on benzene reactions and IR spec that is taught in the second semester.

Plus, every school I applied to required 2 semesters of orgo. Just suck it up and take it. I think it was easier than first semester orgo and it really helped since i scored a 28 on the orgo section of the DAT.

markimark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
most schools have a year of orgo as a prereq for biochemistry, so i don't know how you'd even sign up for class...besides, taking orgo II is definitely worth it because of the DAT.

bedris

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Thanks very much for the responses, guys. I appreciate your insight and knowledge on the situation.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.